Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Samsung Clx-8540 04-001 error

Have a machine throwing this code. Customer turned off and on as error help said. Did no good.

SM says replace LSU and if this doesn't fix replace engine board..

Replaced LSU a week ago. Was careful to not get all the LSU cables in a bind. Machine printed and copied in b&w and color.

Customer called next day and had same code again. Said hadn't used machine rest of the day after I left and when they went to use it the following day it threw the error.

Engine board and another LSU are on order.

Any ideas about what else might be the cause?

Re: Samsung Clx-8540 04-001 error

Redo firmware an do a memory clear that fixes a lot of samsung problems

Technician

Re: Samsung Clx-8540 04-001 error

Well let me update this. Went up and looked at machine week before last. When I arrived machine was working. Only thing was it had a message that the black toner was getting low. I should've left well enough alone but I can't help myself sometimes. Always want to go thew extra mile for the customer.

I decided to do a firmware upgrade. I had one from not too long ago that specifically said clx-8540. The latest one says clx-8385. That didn't bother me too much as all the parts I've ever ordered for 8540's say 8385 0n the box.

I flashed the "old" 8540 stuff first. All went well. Decided to bite the bullet and do the "new" 8385 firmware. That went ok, but after finally installing it wiped out the customers accounting passwords. There are around thirty or more of them. I wasn't wanting to program all of them in so I wasn't planning on doing a memory clear but since they were gone... did a memory clear as well. When reading the service manual I also discovered an engine memory clear. it was also supposed to help with weird errors and since the engine board replacement was the other remedy for the error I originally had I foolishly did an engine memory clear as well.

Big mistake. After reboot the machine failed to recognize any of the toner cartridges installed, even though they were genuine Samsung. I removed and inserted the cartridges. No good. Reflashed using the "new" firmware three times before the machine recognized the cartridges. Machine copied but the copies lacked density. Tried calling the hotline but didn't get through. Reprogrammed all the security settings and told customer what was going on and left.

Tech on hotline called me back about five minutes later and I told him what was going on. He said the "new" firmware I used was the right stuff and it should take care of any quality issues. I went back and loaded it again with no improvement in quality. Thought for a minute and decided since the machine had been doing ok with the old stuff maybe it would again. Flashed the "old" firmware in and the copies really went to hades and all the security settings and passwords I'd just programmed in were gone.

I flashed the "new" firmware again and upon reboot the copies were ok again but not great - density was still really lacking. And oddly all the security settings were back. Told customer what was going on and they could live with it for awhile.

Couldn't get back last week due to dr. visits and other calls going on. Customer called today and said the machine was saying the black imaging unit needed replacing and was down. They didn't have any. Our normal source was out as well so it was going to be three days to get one. Then they called back this afternoon and said the machine all of a sudden decided the imaging unit was ok and started working.

Aside from fire, and lots of it, any ideas on what to do with this machine? I'm thinking of swapping out the engine board to see if that improves image quality but beyond that I am at a loss.