Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MX-4100N hanging

Today I have a MX-4100N that is hanging at the "Please Wait" screen after coming out of sleep mode. The mfp otherwise operates flawlessy. The problem occurs when the mfp is manually put in sleep mode by pressing the power save button on the panel. The screen then goes black as it should and about 20 seconds after the power save button is pressed there is a relay click type sound. At this point if I press the power save button the mfp will attempt to wake and hang up on the "Please Wait" screen. If I press the power save button prior to the 20 second mark and before the relay click sound the mfp will fire right back up and be at a ready state.

I have reloaded the firmware and swapped out DIMMs 2,3,and 5 on the MFP PWB to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts drowranger's Avatar

Re: MX-4100N hanging

is there a fax connected ?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by teklife256 View Post
    Today I have a MX-4100N that is hanging at the "Please Wait" screen after coming out of sleep mode. The mfp otherwise operates flawlessy. The problem occurs when the mfp is manually put in sleep mode by pressing the power save button on the panel. The screen then goes black as it should and about 20 seconds after the power save button is pressed there is a relay click type sound. At this point if I press the power save button the mfp will attempt to wake and hang up on the "Please Wait" screen. If I press the power save button prior to the 20 second mark and before the relay click sound the mfp will fire right back up and be at a ready state.

I have reloaded the firmware and swapped out DIMMs 2,3,and 5 on the MFP PWB to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Had similar symptoms on new 264 a month after install it turned out to be scanner control pwb in my case

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-4100N hanging

What are your preheat and auto shutoff timers set at, if they are set to the same time(both a a minute) it can cause the mfp to do strange things.
    Does the mfp go into and out of sleep/auto shutoff automatically (machine goes to sleep/off from timer and then wakes up with print job or fax or when user presses energy save button) ?

last year had about 4 mfps in the mx4100 series with similar issues ,that when the mfps went to sleep they wouldn't wake up with print, fax or pressing the energy save button . they had to be powered of/on. long story short the retractable keyboard leds were flashing or not working and replacing usb conv pwb under keyboard fixed problem. failed usb conv pwb also causes mfp to act strangely.

Try to clean / replace the Resist Pro con sensor (VHPYAHA19++-1)
    and replace the Belt drive gear (NGERH1668FCZ1)

When the mfp have been in sleep mode, it will start up by doing a small calibration by moving the belt over the Resist Pro con sensor, if there is dirt on the sensor, or a small crack/gap in the Belt drive gear, the mfp can get stuck in "Please Wait" and with no error codes.

I cant remember if i have done it to any 4100 mfp, but i know this works with 2600-3100 mfp.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Replacing the HDD solved the issue. Thanks everyone for the ideas I definitely appreciate the help.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-4100N hanging

I appreciate, all, for your input, I actually just started ( this week) dealing with a similar issues on the above mentioned MFP's (both), strange as it may be, and it helps me out too, thank you, all.