Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Learning to follow directions!

I recently purchased a used Sharp MX-3640 with a U1-01 error code and it also something about forwarding incoming fax messages. The screen was locked up and it would let me view copy counts but I could not get into service mode. I don't want to show my age but the last battery failure that I remember was on a Sharp 756. Between now and then I forgot about simulation 13. So first replaced the MFP board still same problem, then the mother board, and finally the PCU. Still the U1-01. After the last board I was able to get into simulation. So I brilliantly decided to format the hard drive. While it was doing that I remembered simulation 13. I had to wait for the hard drive so at that point it was 7:00 so I decided to go home. At about 9:30 it was bugging me so much that I decided to run back to work to try clearing the code. Shucks same problem, decided to call it a day.
    On Sunday morning I decided to do what should have been done in the first place. After going to Walmart and spending four dollars on two 3 volt batteries my copier is a happy camper.

I hope this helps somebody or at least gives them a good laugh.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Learning to follow directions!

Quote Originally Posted by lenovos View Post
    I don't want to show my age but the last battery failure that I remember was on a Sharp 756
    Haha I know this beast too! Good old masters, none of these modern drum things!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    Haha I know this beast too! Good old masters, none of these modern drum things!
    Wow the 760 was a filthy animal!!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I had a client that left 2- 40 series machines in storage for a few years and had the same issue, replaced the batteries and all was good. It has been years since I have replaced batteries but back then they were soldered in the boards back then. I think prior to this u1-01 error the last one I had was around 1994 on the old SF series.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lenovos View Post
    I recently purchased a used Sharp MX-3640 with a U1-01 error code and it also something about forwarding incoming fax messages. The screen was locked up and it would let me view copy counts but I could not get into service mode. I don't want to show my age but the last battery failure that I remember was on a Sharp 756. Between now and then I forgot about simulation 13. So first replaced the MFP board still same problem, then the mother board, and finally the PCU. Still the U1-01. After the last board I was able to get into simulation. So I brilliantly decided to format the hard drive. While it was doing that I remembered simulation 13. I had to wait for the hard drive so at that point it was 7:00 so I decided to go home. At about 9:30 it was bugging me so much that I decided to run back to work to try clearing the code. Shucks same problem, decided to call it a day.
    On Sunday morning I decided to do what should have been done in the first place. After going to Walmart and spending four dollars on two 3 volt batteries my copier is a happy camper.

I hope this helps somebody or at least gives them a good laugh.

I do remember those 756 units, however I have a 3140 showing the same code. Where in the world is that battery. I have a 2640 and removed back cover and couldn't find it. Maybe the 2640 didn't have one, but please help

Thanks in advance!!
    Scott

Senior Tech 50+ Posts

Mfpc is behind left cab panel, both plastic and metal. Battery is just to the right of the HDD SATA conn.

Ahh the 756!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I do remember those 756 units, however I have a 3140 showing the same code. Where in the world is that battery. I have a 2640 and removed back cover and couldn't find it. Maybe the 2640 didn't have one, but please help

Thanks in advance!!
    Scott

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

I could still fix anything on SF-756 in my sleep.

I wish I would have saved one each of the old models to keep in the showroom.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    I could still fix anything on SF-756 in my sleep.

I wish I would have saved one each of the old models to keep in the showroom.
    I am with you on the old model showroom! Although, I came in at the end of the SF-756, I worked on my fair share. I worked a lot on the 8100 series, 7300, 2116, 7750, 2110, 9700,8800, etc. And who could forget the revolutionary 2027 -2035 series, they became my favorite after the SF 8100-8250 series.
    I could most likely identify each machine by sound alone, the days of metal gears and chains. They sure have come a long way, seems to me the old ones were always breaking or corona wires shorting out, adf belts that would stretch out, static on the platen glass, crooked originals, adf trays that were always broken by the customer, clients that would put the trash can under the moving finisher bins, manual toner/ developer mixes by the blinking light, fuser and exposure lamps that were always failing. Speaking of exposure lamps, how about the adjustable exposer baffles?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I am with you on the old model showroom! Although, I came in at the end of the SF-756, I worked on my fair share. I worked a lot on the 8100 series, 7300, 2116, 7750, 2110, 9700,8800, etc. And who could forget the revolutionary 2027 -2035 series, they became my favorite after the SF 8100-8250 series.
    I could most likely identify each machine by sound alone, the days of metal gears and chains. They sure have come a long way, seems to me the old ones were always breaking or corona wires shorting out, adf belts that would stretch out, static on the platen glass, crooked originals, adf trays that were always broken by the customer, clients that would put the trash can under the moving finisher bins, manual toner/ developer mixes by the blinking light, fuser and exposure lamps that were always failing. Speaking of exposure lamps, how about the adjustable exposer baffles?

I remember all of those models. And I remember all the things that you're talking about. I had forgotten about the adjustable exposer baffles. I think there were like 4 of them directly above the scanner lamp. What about all the wrap springs clutches that had to be oiled?

PS - I HATED the 7750. It was a piece of crap.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

I bent those little aluminum baffles this way and that to get the perfect exposure balance.

Failed purple and grey fuser lamps?

I got into this early, like 12 years old as it was a family business. I can still remember watching my dad tear down mechanical adding machines and putting them back together. He is 83 now and has taken up repairing antique clocks. Not just the simple stuff but down to the bones.

When I was young he filled the barn with old equipment and asked me to tear them down, separate the parts and screws. He did nothing with them but I think he was trying to teach me the trade and how to use a screw driver. He would soak the drums of memeographs in a tank and then take me to the car wash to spray them out.

This is a small slice of his clocks. He keeps the nice ones at home. SOMEDAY THIS WILL ALL BE MINE!!! ugh
    20210304_080201.jpg