Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Exclamation MXFN11 Finisher not detecting Staples

Hi Everyone,

Have any of you had the issue where the MXFN11 Finisher does not detect new staples being installed. The manual says the sensor that detects the presence of staples is FSD and it is located inside the stapling unit. There is no diagram as to where in the stapling unit...

Can any of you point to where it exactly is and whether it is fixable or do I need a new stapler unit? thanks!

Technician

Re: MXFN11 Finisher not detecting Staples

Quote Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Have any of you had the issue where the MXFN11 Finisher does not detect new staples being installed. The manual says the sensor that detects the presence of staples is FSD and it is located inside the stapling unit. There is no diagram as to where in the stapling unit...

Can any of you point to where it exactly is and whether it is fixable or do I need a new stapler unit? thanks!

The staple cartridge has a black tab in it that senses the presence of staples, i have seen that break off.

Quote Originally Posted by kp101 View Post
    The staple cartridge has a black tab in it that senses the presence of staples, i have seen that break off.
    I have another cartridge here. I'll take that over and try it first. thanks!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MXFN11 Finisher not detecting Staples

There are actually 2 sensors in the stapling unit. One detects if the cartridge is installed, the other one detects if there are staples in the cartridge. Which sensor has failed is determined by whether you get a message to install the cartridge or replace staples. The cartridge sensor has the black actuator which breaks and can be bypassed by blocking the sensor (of course, then it will never know when the cartridge is removed). The staple sensor is a reflective sensor that shines on the staples looking for something shiny. This one is very difficult to bypass. Either way, both sensors are part of the stapler assembly, for which you cannot buy individual parts. It needs to be ordered as a full assembly.

Talking Re: MXFN11 Finisher not detecting Staples

Thanks for the help guys. I can confirm it was the little black tab on the staple cartridge that had broken off. Thanks for the tip! Missed it the first time I was in, it is very small, so not really surprising that it breaks! Glad I didn't need a whole new stapling unit they aren't cheap!

This ticket is officially closed!