Technician

MX-M283N w/MX-FXX2 issue

Customer called and and they had lost fax capability. Had a 283 with fax kit on it so took the kit and memory card down and installed the MX-FXX2 only first on the customer machine. Went to image send, selected fax and hit speaker. Heard relay click but no dial tone. Swapped memory with same result. Tried to fax and machine timed out and gave error report with BUSY MEMORY on it. Put customer memory card back in machine and left our fax kit on the 283. Told customer to give phone company a call and have them check the lines.

When I got back to shop I put customer's fax unit on our 283, installed memory and it worked fine. Got a call today from customer. phone company would be out to check lines in six days. Customer took their old fax and hooked it up in place of the 283 and their old fax worked ok. So it seems the problem is with the 283. Since the kit plugs into the MFP board I'm thinking of swapping this next. Any thoughts?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MX-M283N w/MX-FXX2 issue

Re: MX-M283N w/MX-FXX2 issue

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeb View Post
    Customer called and and they had lost fax capability. Had a 283 with fax kit on it so took the kit and memory card down and installed the MX-FXX2 only first on the customer machine. Went to image send, selected fax and hit speaker. Heard relay click but no dial tone. Swapped memory with same result. Tried to fax and machine timed out and gave error report with BUSY MEMORY on it. Put customer memory card back in machine and left our fax kit on the 283. Told customer to give phone company a call and have them check the lines. When I got back to shop I put customer's fax unit on our 283, installed memory and it worked fine. Got a call today from customer. phone company would be out to check lines in six days. Customer took their old fax and hooked it up in place of the 283 and their old fax worked ok. So it seems the problem is with the 283. Since the kit plugs into the MFP board I'm thinking of swapping this next. Any thoughts?
    was their old fax setup for analog line?
    do they have VOIP?
    do they have a special code to dial out?
    have you put a test phone set on the wall jack?
    how many wires in the fax line?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    was their old fax setup for analog line?
    do they have VOIP?
    do they have a special code to dial out?
    have you put a test phone set on the wall jack?
    how many wires in the fax line?
    Machine has been working fine for three years. No VOIP or special code to dial out. They plugged their old fax into the wall jack, the fax being used before getting the 283, and it works fine. Checked the line going into the fax unit on the 283 and it was a 4 wire - which had been working ok. swapped in a two line I keep with me in my car and it made no difference. Still no dial tone.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeb View Post
    Machine has been working fine for three years. No VOIP or special code to dial out. They plugged their old fax into the wall jack, the fax being used before getting the 283, and it works fine. Checked the line going into the fax unit on the 283 and it was a 4 wire - which had been working ok. swapped in a two line I keep with me in my car and it made no difference. Still no dial tone.
    I encountered the same problem twice. No dial tone in the machine but if we put an analog phone there is a dial tone. I only connect to the machine thru the web and reset the fax setting to factory default after the machine re-start it works. Hope this will help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-M283N w/MX-FXX2 issue

SIM 26-6 (I believe) destination settng
    If you are in the US, change to Canada, reboot machine. Go back into SIM and change destination back to US and reboot.

** I know this does not seem like it makes sense, not entirely sure what it does but reset certain setting on both machine and fax, but I've fixed many a strange fax issue doing this.

You may also want to do a SIM 66-10 fax memory clear.

Lastly do a 22-6 on a working machine and the customers machine. Soft switch settings are shown. Items in black text on white are default settings..... items in white text with black square have been changed from default. Compare the two and make changes accordingly.

Do firmware, even if machine is already at current level.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi
    Dialtone out:
    MX-FX15/FX11/FXX2/FXX3 SIM 66-1 SW 9 Bit 7 from 1 on 0
    MX-FXX1 SIM 66-1 SW 53 Bit 4 from 1 on 0
    MX-FX13 SIM 66-1 SW 26 Bit 4 from 1 to 0
    MX-FX10 SIM 66-1 SW 21 Bit 1 from 1 to 0
    Test

Loop Current out:
    MX-FX15/FX11/FXX2/FXX3 SIM 66-1 SW 8 Bit 8 from 1 on 0

Test