just another tech 100+ Posts

Sharp MX-5141N Ghost images

We installed a Sharp refurbished 2016 MX-5141N Color model into a customer last week. It was completely rebuilt by our company with all new units and calibrations done. We did not use kits for this refurbishment, but whole new drum units, fuser unit (direct from Sharp), transfer belt units, and new developer (not new dv units). This is a 20 amp model that replaced a 15 amp model (5001N). We installed the machine with a power cable adapter until the electrician could install the receptacle. (We verified a 20 amp breaker with the correct gauge wiring) The next day after the install the customer said it was putting a ghost image, repeating image, across the page on high runs of 20-30 or more. So far I've just seen it with black copies, it may do it with color, however the customer doesn't do many large runs of color yet. I was able to see it myself after 20 or so pages. I was a bit stumped as everything in the machine is new. The electrician has come and gone and the 20 amp outlet is installed with Sharp surge protector. I replaced the fuser with a known good fuser and the symptoms stayed the same. I would look into the black drum unit, but being new, that's tough to do. My next thought is bad ground. I talked to the service manager and he says to see if there's any voltage between ground and neutral. That may affect it. I'm about to go there in a few minutes to check it. I know there is not a good ground in the building although my tester shows good. The ground wire is attached to the electrical box itself according to the electrician. The old 5001N never had a problem with the electricity.

Being a new customer install, I'm getting pretty worried with this situation so any help would be greatly appreciated. They've had the machine for 2 weeks now.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts danceswrabbit's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX-5141N Ghost images

the first thing i would do is a panic stop and see where ghosting is coming from. If it is doing it on all colors i would think drums an unlikely culprit. (one color then maybe the drum on that color) id think fuser or belt unit, the panic stop when its doing it should narrow that. I have had to run some 20 lb 11x17 paper as 28 lb paper to get around this in some aries machines. I think the 11x17 pulls a lot of heat outta the fuser. hope this helps

Senior Tech 50+ Posts
    Sharp MX-5141N Ghost images

Re: Sharp MX-5141N Ghost images

After what the Rabbit said....

If it's near a kitchen or in an area with high humidity, set the "Fusing Control Settings" to 23+ -28 lbs.
    That's System Settings, Device Control, near bottom of page.
    I've had a big problem with shadows on that series box and as long as Rabbit's list has been checked, try this.
    I change all of them to 23-28 now.

YMMV