Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

MX 4070N stripping black developer

We have an MX 4070N stripping black developer. This is the third time in 6 weeks that we have replaced the black developer.
    I have checked that the toner is dumping into the developer unit (we are using sharp OEM toner), I have replaced the developer unit itself with a new one, Today I replaced the developer, Drum unit and waste. Contacts are clean. I am not getting any error codes, the firmware is updated
    with the latest.
    all the maintenance has been kept up to date. the copier is almost three years old in a clean enviorment, the customer copy count is 133,769 black and 195,638 color (329,407 total). The copy quality is great until the black developer starts depleting. Any ideas are appreciated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

Re: MX 4070N stripping black developer

We have talked to Sharp several times about this. Their answer is that it drum wear that is making a short from charger to drum core and pulling Developer out of DV Unit at a slow rate but not enough to pop a code. All that said we have replaced Drum units and developer units just to cover our bases. You are probably getting a spiral weak area that some call barber poling or tiger striping.

Technician

Sharp sells UKOG-0309FCZZ seal powder to prevent the ends of the drum from wearing out and causing dv pull. In class, the teacher highly recommended using it to prevent dv pull from occuring. I ordered some for all of our techs and our shop desk and it seems to work well. You place a small amount on the red felt seal at the ends of the drum unit before putting in a new drum.

Also worth checking the drum quenching lamp, its the led on the inside of rear frame as can become contaminated with toner, blocking light onto drum frame optical webb plate

[QUOTE=NYPRNLA;819395]Sharp sells UKOG-0309FCZZ seal powder to prevent the ends of the drum from wearing out and causing dv pull. In class, the teacher highly recommended using it to prevent dv pull from occuring. I ordered some for all of our techs and our shop desk and it seems to work well. You place a small amount on the red felt seal at the ends of the drum unit before putting in a new drum.[/QUOTE

Thanks I ordered some at your recommendation. I remember them mentioning it MX-7500 school but sometimes I take manufacturers advice with a grain of salt. I much prefer the reports of actual use by other techs.

Untitled 3.jpgUpdate: it happened the first of the week again. We called the sharp Hotline and their only suggestion was that the toner was clumping and to replace the toner and developer and to clean the toner tube. we did and brought the old toner back and opened it up and found large hard clumps in the toner. I hope that it was just this one toner causing the issue. We only use genuine Sharp toners in all of our Sharp machines. We will wait a couple of weeks and see if this solves the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    Untitled 3.jpgUpdate: it happened the first of the week again. We called the sharp Hotline and their only suggestion was that the toner was clumping and to replace the toner and developer and to clean the toner tube. we did and brought the old toner back and opened it up and found large hard clumps in the toner. I hope that it was just this one toner causing the issue. We only use genuine Sharp toners in all of our Sharp machines. We will wait a couple of weeks and see if this solves the issue.
    Was it hard like maybe it fused in a hot car? We have had partially fused toner with what we called rocks get into DV unit and block the doctor blade resulting in streaks on Mag roller where toner rock blocked the developer from getting on the Mag roller. Or was this actually causing to be pulled out of unit into waste toner container? After looking at picture it sur looks like it is just blocking doctor blade.

No it was just blocking the doctor blade and then blocking the toner transport pipe which caused the low level of developer and toner in the developer unit. The toner had square type chunks in it, one of which measured 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch thick. it would break apart when you crushed it with pick.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    clumping usually means it has been stored in too high of a heat environment or not shaken enough before installing... my 2cents

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

One helpful hint, open the end of the the waste toner auger port of the drum, and vac it out during a pm. seen a few of them forming large toner clot buildups at the front frame side, that eventually end up in waste toner backups, hence broken augers, charge contamination, and eventual drum wear that causes dv pull. Was soposto be fixed with new waste boxes, but still seeing buildup and clotting at the waste exit port. PS Sharp has had an issue with edge of the drum wear for quite some time, vac or replace edge seals regularly.

Have been working on Sharps in KS for 15 yrs never seen toner clotting like that...
    Last edited by Nachoman4life; 10-03-2019 at 03:01 AM.
    Where the heck is my spring hook?