Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Question Printing from/saving to USB key 3.0 on MX565 & MX5070

I recently noticed a problem on the MX-565 & MX-5070 type of copiers while trying to print a PDF file from a USB key. The key does work on my recent work computer, as I am able to put files on it, but is not recognised on older ones (XP can't handle it). The only difference with previous use of the USB print/save is that the USB key is clearly identified as 3.0. I've used other type of USB stick without problem in the past, and it still works now with older keys. But is it possible that Sharp doesn't recognise the new 3.0 version? When I plug it in a copier, it just isn't recognised like there's nothing plugged in...

Anyone can confirm that they were able to use a 3.0 USB stick on these machine? Because it doesn't work on ours, either as a printing or saving option...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Printing from/saving to USB key 3.0 on MX565 & MX5070

Re: Printing from/saving to USB key 3.0 on MX565 & MX5070

Service manual specifications only list USB 2.0, not 3.

Technician

Of course, but shouldn't the USB stick be recognised anyway, and work as a 2.0? This is a genuine Lexar product I'm talking about, not a chinese copy. This is going to be a big problem in the future when they stop manufacturing 2.0 USB key! Who really wants to explain to every user to be careful about which USB stick they use on copier?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PacMusee View Post
    Of course, but shouldn't the USB stick be recognised anyway, and work as a 2.0? This is a genuine Lexar product I'm talking about, not a chinese copy. This is going to be a big problem in the future when they stop manufacturing 2.0 USB key! Who really wants to explain to every user to be careful about which USB stick they use on copier?
    take out your service manual.. make a copy of the page defining 2.0 / 3.0 USB. Give it to the key op for each machine. That way they get it from the horses mouth, and you are off the hook.

Frankly I doubt copier co's will switch to a 3.0 stick anytime soon.

Keep in mine those units get placed all over the world. And with some other countries (not USA), the 'techs' that come here don't think: compatible toners/drums .... crappy Chinese parts... shitty paper should have ANY affect, and they are running older machines that you describe.

My 2 cents

Technician

The Lexar products in my hand states "USB 3.1 (Gen 1) compatible; backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices".
    Since the copiers are 2.0 devices, they should recognise the inserted flash drive, even if they don't offer the 3.0 advantage...

So, has anyone else encountered the same problem? If there is no retro-compatibility (as advertised), consumers must be made aware of that before purchasing these items. I can totally believe for now it's not a Sharp problem in this case, but I just want to make sure nobody else can use a 3.0 memory stick!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

consumers must be made aware of that before purchasing these items. I can totally believe for now it's not a Sharp problem in this case, but I just want to make sure nobody else can use a 3.0 memory stick!
    IMHO the sales person should be made aware and to inform the end user BEFORE purchase.

Plug it into the computer and print it. Who prints from a usb stick into copier? Think I got one call the in last 10 years
    Sales like to tell customers about but nobody really uses it. Just like scan to usb.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It's got to do with the rate of file transfer, not country of origin. USB 2 File Transfer rate is 480 megabits per second, while USB 3 is 4800 Mbps!! Even though the 565 is a fairly new machine, it's still built on a slightly older architecture so it can't handle the higher rate of transfer speed.

Some USB keys don't work on ALL pieces of equipment. I worked on Canon before, and they liked Lexar USB drives but hated SanDisk. You want to update firmware on a Savin/Ricoh box?? You're going to need an old-school SD card to do it....and if it's older than the 03 series, it cannot be larger than 2 GB!!

...then again, I guess some customers would complain if the copier didn't unwrap the ream of paper FOR them, right??.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Plug it into the computer and print it. Who prints from a usb stick into copier? Think I got one call the in last 10 years
    Sales like to tell customers about but nobody really uses it. Just like scan to usb.
    Ditto....I've shown it countless times......customers ooh and aah, but is honestly the last time they think about it

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    I do it, and many other people do it too. It way faster and easier than going through a computer when the file is ready to print as is. Circumstances do not always permit the use of a computer when you're in another area than your own, and there are none free for your own use as a "visitor". Our entreprise is constitued of many buildings, and printing from USB is way more convenient than crossing the street to go back to our own desk...

Also, scanning to USB is EXTREMELY less problematic than sending out as email when dealing with a big color document! It's direct, so no problem with download/upload speed on the network... ;-)