Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-M465 copy quality problems

Machine has 98000copies approx. In good shape,clean office. First time I went there the samples they showed me I fixed with calibrations. Back a week later and my test sheet looks same as when I left last time. cust did sample prints that came out fine. Then someone else printed out a list and as you can see it is not very dark overall and it fades out towards the top. Running through portrait,widthwise direction. One sample is the current testchart, one sample showing problem,and one sample showing printed from their deskjet printer. I also cleaned all optics,laser slit glass.Tried all printer calibrations, Nothing changed it at all.The scanned images I am showing look worse, the deskjet sample looks not too bad looking at the real print.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Re: MX-M465 copy quality problems

When is the last time the machine had a PM? Looks to me that the consumables need to be replaced and calibrated.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

To clarify, is the issue with copies or prints? Your wording is somewhat unclear.

For an easy/cheating solution you could scan/copy in Light Original exposure mode. You can make it the default in copy function settings > initial status settings. I'm theorizing that those invoices are printed on thinner paper and that that could be affecting the scan.

The test chart looks nice and dark on the top and bottom (unlike the invoice), but possibly faded in the middle. Is your original test chart faded in the middle? That black "100" box should be darker. It's strange that the problem area is opposite in your two samples. This machine has a built-in test chart (sim 64-5) you can print - is that faded too?

Judging from the darkness of the test chart (and expected life of drum and dv), I think the problem is in the scanner (if not thin paper) and not a PM issue. I'd give the optical mirrors under the scan glass another cleaning. Use a light and make sure there isn't a thin layer of dust on them. After that run copy auto image calibration (in copy function settings).
    Last edited by doyvid; 11-27-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Sorry not to be more clear. The machine has 98k so consumables should be good. The test sheet is a copy,just showing how machine is running in general. The two invoices are prints. The light one that fades towards the top is the sharp. the better one was from the deskjet. I probably confused by saying I cleaned the optics,which would not affect prints . Did clean the laser slitglass which was clean anyway. All other prints they printed came out normal. They print these invoices out a lot so it is important to them to make this better. Even though drum is not at end of life,I was thinking maybe it could be causing problem.

Technician

Hi have had a similar problem and it turned out to be a build up on the mag roller
    hoovered the old dev out cleaned the mag roller with alcohol and the difference in copies was day and night

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

As the above post suggests there was actually an updated dev unit for this problem. Also, the MK on these can really make a difference. Just do a PM before you think too far outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    As the above post suggests there was actually an updated dev unit for this problem. Also, the MK on these can really make a difference. Just do a PM before you think too far outside the box.
    Thanks, do you happen to have any info about the developer unit change? The only bulliten I found about a new style developer was for a toner dispersion problem. Also when I go back I will have a new drum and developer mix. I am trying to get ideas incase these dont help. Thansk again for yours and the other suggestions.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    Thanks, do you happen to have any info about the developer unit change? The only bulliten I found about a new style developer was for a toner dispersion problem. Also when I go back I will have a new drum and developer mix. I am trying to get ideas incase these dont help. Thansk again for yours and the other suggestions.
    If prints are fine it's not the drum or developer.

Quote Originally Posted by doyvid View Post
    To clarify, is the issue with copies or prints? Your wording is somewhat unclear.

For an easy/cheating solution you could scan/copy in Light Original exposure mode. You can make it the default in copy function settings > initial status settings. I'm theorizing that those invoices are printed on thinner paper and that that could be affecting the scan.

The test chart looks nice and dark on the top and bottom (unlike the invoice), but possibly faded in the middle. Is your original test chart faded in the middle? That black "100" box should be darker. It's strange that the problem area is opposite in your two samples. This machine has a built-in test chart (sim 64-5) you can print - is that faded too?

Judging from the darkness of the test chart (and expected life of drum and dv), I think the problem is in the scanner (if not thin paper) and not a PM issue. I'd give the optical mirrors under the scan glass another cleaning. Use a light and make sure there isn't a thin layer of dust on them. After that run copy auto image calibration (in copy function settings).
    Thankyou for mentioning the 64-5. I never explored that setting. I have mainly used the 64-1 print patterns. I went to a couple of sharp classes and none of the training goes through any of this stuff. Also what I dont get is in say the 64-5 you have all the other settings say A through L It seems like you can fine tune things with those settings but when you leave the sim and then go back into it the settings seem to revert to where they were,so I dont get what they are used for.