Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

CAD diagram pdfs not printing on Sharp only

Our client needs to print CAD diagram pdfs, below is the summary my boss wrote up of the problem.

Client has a MX 4141N and was moved to an all MAC environment inside the company. MAC OS is High Sierra. When printing a pdf file, (5.38kb) file takes about a minute to unwrap and send to MX 4141. Then MX 4141 render/spools one page every 2-3 minutes.

We have loaded and reloaded sharp MAC 10.14 driver. We brought our own Mac notebook in and see the same issue. Every Mac in the workgroup also print slowly. We changed “print as image”, printed quicker but quality was bad. We tried a generic driver, got same issue and/or could not print on correct paper size. Tried different port setting, LPD, IPP, Airprint w no changes.

We also printed the file from a PC and it prints quickly. We printed PCL and PS and both print fine.

Client has a Copystar 4002i and brother printer and there are no issues printing quickly. I asked a friend at a dual line dealer to print the same file. They sent the PDF file to a Canon C5550i, HP laser jet MFP E87660, Xerox Altalink C8055, and all printed file without latency. We have also tried printing the pdf in our demo room loading the correct drivers to a MX 5141, MX 5070v, and a MX 4071-all with the same issue that is happening at the client-slow printing/rendering/spooling.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: CAD diagram pdfs not printing on Sharp only

Do you have printing preferences in the Mac driver? I can't recall. I know when this problem happens in the pcl6 driver I can go into printing preferences and change print mode from high quality to normal mode and it seems to help speed up the print jobs and have also adjusted the bitmap compression settings as well. Also, if the Mac driver has a printer properties, you could go into advanced tab and select print after last page is spooled, this at least will print all the print jobs out in a consecutive pack as opposed to printing a page or two, then waiting for the remaining job.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Since it prints fine from a Windows PC using PCL, have you tried using Apple's generic PCL?

Only times i've had issues is when the printer was not installed correctly. Make sure you install via IP Address and make sure you chose HP JetDirect - Socket rather than let macOS auto detect the machine.

Also, if you have issues with lines missing when printing from CAD just change the line thickness on machine or via the web page settings. Default is 5 so change to higher number.

good luck.