Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Interesting find: Msata cards

I would like to point out something most have overlooked in this discussion....Machine specific meta data is stored on the msata card...and sd card on the older models. I do realize that some have swapped the msata cards and they seem to work ok...however sometimes they dont...and they end up causing us technicians problems that cannot be fixed easily. ie airprint wont work and serial number for airprint is missing or doesnt match serial from mfp/pcu or product key will not install, etc. What I did is bought a new MSATA for each machine model series and made an image of it prior to putting it in a machine and initializing it. New cards from sharp contain no meta or serial data and are safe to image. you can use a standard samsung 32gb as a replacement to write images on all day long and they will work many times longer and faster than the ones supplied by sharp.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Interesting find: Msata cards

[QUOTE=repn1999;1434627]I would like to point out something most have overlooked in this discussion....Machine specific meta data is stored on the msata card...and sd card on the older models. I do realize that some have swapped the msata cards and they seem to work ok...however sometimes they dont...and they end up causing us technicians problems that cannot be fixed easily. ie airprint wont work and serial number for airprint is missing or doesnt match serial from mfp/pcu or product key will not install, etc. What I did is bought a new MSATA for each machine model series and made an image of it prior to putting it in a machine and initializing it. New cards from sharp contain no meta or serial data and are safe to image. you can use a standard samsung 32gb as a replacement to write images on all day long and they will work many times longer and faster than the ones supplied by sharp.[/QUOT

Why would that be an.issue. We are NOT replacing the card, we are doing a CN update which effects nothing as to which you're talking about. We do this so we do NOT have to replace it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

[QUOTE=bigdaddyooo;1435100]
    Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    I would like to point out something most have overlooked in this discussion....Machine specific meta data is stored on the msata card...and sd card on the older models. I do realize that some have swapped the msata cards and they seem to work ok...however sometimes they dont...and they end up causing us technicians problems that cannot be fixed easily. ie airprint wont work and serial number for airprint is missing or doesnt match serial from mfp/pcu or product key will not install, etc. What I did is bought a new MSATA for each machine model series and made an image of it prior to putting it in a machine and initializing it. New cards from sharp contain no meta or serial data and are safe to image. you can use a standard samsung 32gb as a replacement to write images on all day long and they will work many times longer and faster than the ones supplied by sharp.[/QUOT

Why would that be an.issue. We are NOT replacing the card, we are doing a CN update which effects nothing as to which you're talking about. We do this so we do NOT have to replace it.

First I was addressing the comment someone made about swapping msata cards from another machine. Second....the reason you are having to CN update the cards is because they ARE failing. Clearly you understanding behind the issue is lacking. So solid state drives, and all flash memory have a finite number of times they can be written to before the cells or blocks within the chips start to fail or go corrupt. MSata ssd drives were chosen to replace sd cards due to the much higher endurance of NAND flash vs the sd card, along with the fact that they have algorithms built in ( TRIM) to manage block wear and reads and writes to the drive. HOWEVER, when the first Phoenix and Griffin machines came out, along with some of the others, the TRIM feature set was not enabled. It was not finally enabled until 4.0 firmware on the Phoenix and there is a tech bulletin backing this up. Without TRIM enabled the drives basically were running defrag constantly because a solid state is programmed to fill each memory block fully and to keep all parts of that data file together much like on your computer in defrag. So without TRIM the drives wear out very quickly and fail. Again this is documented in a tech bulletin along regarding E7 codes and no boot I believe. I can find the number if you are interested. SO.....CN update will temporarily get the machine back up just like you could do with SD cards, sometimes....but it is not a permanent solution. You can check the label on the mSata and if the sticker is less than 4.0 figure its probably gonna fail soon. If it is newer, your mileage may vary. I prefer to fix the issue the first time and not have to go back. Im responsible for over 750 machines in my territory and if I fixed my machines like some of you I would have tons of callbacks, pissed customers and more headaches than I care to deal with.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

[QUOTE=repn1999;1435335]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyooo View Post

First I was addressing the comment someone made about swapping msata cards from another machine. Second....the reason you are having to CN update the cards is because they ARE failing. Clearly you understanding behind the issue is lacking. So solid state drives, and all flash memory have a finite number of times they can be written to before the cells or blocks within the chips start to fail or go corrupt. MSata ssd drives were chosen to replace sd cards due to the much higher endurance of NAND flash vs the sd card, along with the fact that they have algorithms built in ( TRIM) to manage block wear and reads and writes to the drive. HOWEVER, when the first Phoenix and Griffin machines came out, along with some of the others, the TRIM feature set was not enabled. It was not finally enabled until 4.0 firmware on the Phoenix and there is a tech bulletin backing this up. Without TRIM enabled the drives basically were running defrag constantly because a solid state is programmed to fill each memory block fully and to keep all parts of that data file together much like on your computer in defrag. So without TRIM the drives wear out very quickly and fail. Again this is documented in a tech bulletin along regarding E7 codes and no boot I believe. I can find the number if you are interested. SO.....CN update will temporarily get the machine back up just like you could do with SD cards, sometimes....but it is not a permanent solution. You can check the label on the mSata and if the sticker is less than 4.0 figure its probably gonna fail soon. If it is newer, your mileage may vary. I prefer to fix the issue the first time and not have to go back. Im responsible for over 750 machines in my territory and if I fixed my machines like some of you I would have tons of callbacks, pissed customers and more headaches than I care to deal with.
    Well thank you sir. I stand corrected. I have no problem with admitting that I'm wrong but like I said its 60 days in and no problems. I did NOT check the version on the chip so hopefully things will continue to work well.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

[QUOTE=bigdaddyooo;1442726]
    Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post

Well thank you sir. I stand corrected. I have no problem with admitting that I'm wrong but like I said its 60 days in and no problems. I did NOT check the version on the chip so hopefully things will continue to work well.
    I appreciate you sharing your discovery with the rest of us.

Technician

Hi All,

We have E7-80 and E7-90 erros on two Sharp MX-4050N. Despite the firmware update on both machines we are still getting the message.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charfamine View Post
    Hi All,

We have E7-80 and E7-90 erros on two Sharp MX-4050N. Despite the firmware update on both machines we are still getting the message.
    Start your own thread on this issue! If you search CTN with your codes, there are plenty that deal with these issues.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UPDATE: Everyone of the machines (4 of them) that I performed the CN update (5 months later) on are still functioning perfectly. No more E7-80's or 90's.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Interesting find: Msata cards UPDATE

All 4 machines still working correctly. 7 months later.