Thread: Sharp MX2614

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp MX2614

Sharp MX2614

Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a Sharp MX-2614 which has a lamp issue.

The lamp is trying to drive but it 'jutters' and it doesn't illuminate, it moves an inch,stops then moves an inch again all across the flat bed in till i turn the machine off.

i have replaced the scanner board, motor that drives the scanner cables and the lamp itself but no avail.

does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX2614

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a Sharp MX-2614 which has a lamp issue.

The lamp is trying to drive but it 'jutters' and it doesn't illuminate, it moves an inch,stops then moves an inch again all across the flat bed in till i turn the machine off.

i have replaced the scanner board, motor that drives the scanner cables and the lamp itself but no avail.

does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?
    You didn't mention if you replaced the white poly rollers that the scanner wire runs through. Have had those do the same thing when the bearing goes bad. Does it move freely by hand?

Good luck.

Bil

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Did you replace the scanner lamp driver board/inverter board, which sits underneath the lamp? This powers the lamp. Check it if the lamp doesn't light up in sim test.
    The lamp must initialise first, reading the white reference strip under the main glass. Check the scanner lamp home position sensor in sim 1 when the lamp unit is moved by hand.
    When the machine boots, does the lamp unit move across to the left side of scanner without any L1 or L3 codes? Put the lamp over to the right side, then boot up to check scanner initialisation. If that works, but you have no lamp light, I'd be checking the driver/inverter board, possibly DC power supply but unlikely.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp MX2614

Quote Originally Posted by Prints Charming View Post
    Did you replace the scanner lamp driver board/inverter board, which sits underneath the lamp? This powers the lamp. Check it if the lamp doesn't light up in sim test.
    The lamp must initialise first, reading the white reference strip under the main glass. Check the scanner lamp home position sensor in sim 1 when the lamp unit is moved by hand.
    When the machine boots, does the lamp unit move across to the left side of scanner without any L1 or L3 codes? Put the lamp over to the right side, then boot up to check scanner initialisation. If that works, but you have no lamp light, I'd be checking the driver/inverter board, possibly DC power supply but unlikely.
    Yes I have replaced that board, I forgot to mention the screen does not boot up when I turn the machine on so I can not see if there is any codes.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp MX2614

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    You didn't mention if you replaced the white poly rollers that the scanner wire runs through. Have had those do the same thing when the bearing goes bad. Does it move freely by hand?

Good luck.

Bil
    Yes its moves freely by hand, it 'jutters' when I turn the machine on. Spoken to another Tech, he said it could be anything power related as the machines control panel not booting up.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

New info definitely suggests the problem is the DC power supply.
    No display, incorrect scanner boot up sequence. Both controlled by the Scanner board (which you've replaced), but sounds like insufficient power. Easy to check power input connectors from DC on that board.