Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Several Sharp generations having email issues

We have several clients that have developed the same problem. Scan to email was working for all models (we use a frontier.com email, same email for all of our copiers) over the last week or 10 days scan to email has failed with error message of contact your network administrator connection was lost during transmission. All connection tests work. There are about 10 machines having this issue, all firmware is current. The units will send an informational email no problems but as soon as you add an attachment it fails and the message happens within seconds. It appears that something on the network thinks the attachment is spam or a malicious file and is blocking the transmission. Not really a copier issue, might be an email server issue but other units are working, I was hoping for some insight to help the various IT people troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil

Affected models are MXM753, MX5070, MX3116, MXM4071 and MXM7570 so not sure if that helps

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Several Sharp generations having email issues

Nothing concrete here....just some ramdom thoughts.......
    • The connection test really tells you nothing beyond machine can ping for example smtp.frontier.com.
    • have you tried a different email server..... smtp.gmail.com or mail.smtp2go.com ?
    • could it be IP related? momentarily switch ip address with that of a working machine.
    • if all your mfp's are using the same account to email.....are you running into a mail in/out volume limit? example a free smtp2go account will only allow a certain number of emails per hour to be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by mansart View Post
    Nothing concrete here....just some ramdom thoughts.......
    • The connection test really tells you nothing beyond machine can ping for example smtp.frontier.com.
    • have you tried a different email server..... smtp.gmail.com or mail.smtp2go.com ?
    • could it be IP related? momentarily switch ip address with that of a working machine.
    • if all your mfp's are using the same account to email.....are you running into a mail in/out volume limit? example a free smtp2go account will only allow a certain number of emails per hour to be sent.
    Thank you Mansart for the reply.
    I wasn't 100% sure about the first one but that is what I thought it did. Basic verification that everything is connecting and account specifics are correct.
    Item 2 I have done on 3 of the units and it has worked for them. Have tried different emails on a couple of others but it has not worked.
    Item 3 I haven't thought about before. Worth a try at this point...
    Item 4 I considered and checked that email account but couldn't find anything stating this was the case. Also other machines are using the email without problems.

Interesting note: at one of the sites I set up the copier as a file server and when I accessed the file the networks internet security program though it was a bad/malicious file. Had to let the program know it was a good file before it would let me transfer it or open it. I will let their IT know about this on Monday and see if there is anything that can be done about this.

Thank you the suggestions. I have had this happen at another site years ago and was not able to resolve it. One day it was working, stopped working for about a year and then poof started working again.

Bil

Okay. Here's an update for what it's worth. Apparently my email address is being blocked, actually I think all of frontier email addresses are being blocked by this provider, so going around and putting in different email addresses. Have used anything BUT frontier emails and it works just fine, some issues with gmail but that is a different can of worms. Trying to get clients to use their own emails whenever possible but most of our clients are smaller mom and pop setups and the email feature is more for us than for them....

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Bil

The newest machines have the ability to use two SMTP servers.

One for customer emails and the other for service related emails.

Sounds like your using your own email account? That's a BIG NO NO
    Always use the customers email accounts and settings

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

make sure your reply to and sender and authentication emails all MATCH. servers will block or reject them when they look at the email header and find mismatched values. Also alot of clients who use exchange or email filtering will have issues with this because this is a common filter applied to sort out spam and phishing emails.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Sounds like your using your own email account? That's a BIG NO NO
    Always use the customers email accounts and settings
    Not trolling here. Genuinely curious as we don't do a lot of scan to email. Why is this a big no no?

You would have access to all sent document.

If you must use a service like smpt2go....
    You can see the email as being sent but you cannot see the contents of the customers scan.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeb View Post
    Not trolling here. Genuinely curious as we don't do a lot of scan to email. Why is this a big no no?
    There are a couple of reasons for not using your own email but it all comes down to confidentiality. That's why I liked the email account that we were using as there was no record of emails sent in the sent folder of the email account. If you use an office365 email this is not the case. Something to be aware of, we much prefer using the clients email address whenever possible but for 75% of our clients the email function is setup to send notifications to us. We always let the client know we are doing this and let them know it is so we can be more proactive in our service and not bother them every month for the meter (which surprisingly a lot of people like LOL)

Bil