Technician

MX-M550 jamming issues

Hello all. Got a MX-M550N that's 12 years old with 3.2M on the clock. All of a sudden tray 1 will not feed. Paper is picked up ok makes it part way out of tray to between feed and counter roller and stops. Throws PPD_NT1 code. Checked all sensor operations and they are working ok. I replaced rollers and it did better for a short while then went back to doing it's thing. All other trays feed flawlessly. The only thing I can think of is that Tray 1 PPD may be the issue as swapping drawers doesn't help. TIA.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-M550 jamming issues

Re: MX-M550 jamming issues

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeb View Post
    Hello all. Got a MX-M550N that's 12 years old with 3.2M on the clock. All of a sudden tray 1 will not feed. Paper is picked up ok makes it part way out of tray to between feed and counter roller and stops. Throws PPD_NT1 code. Checked all sensor operations and they are working ok. I replaced rollers and it did better for a short while then went back to doing it's thing. All other trays feed flawlessly. The only thing I can think of is that Tray 1 PPD may be the issue as swapping drawers doesn't help. TIA.
    Check the duplex slide out drawer latch, they can wear or crack giving an uneven pressure for the resist roller and transfer belt.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would replace the black guide on the left door and in the vertical pass sections. you can usually see where there is wear on the black guide on the lower part of the left door...the vertical pass area is harder to tell. I would also suggest replacing the tandem paper feed unit if you have not done that. Tray 1 on it always goes out....but tray 2 never. I usually replace the unit and default tray 2 as the default tray to make the unit last longer. The clutches in the unit just suck. And the last thing to look at is make sure the torque limiter in the tray is not cracked on the seperate roller for tray 1. They are rated at 800k but normally dont make it. The improved version does better but i usually dont see them make it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    I would replace the black guide on the left door and in the vertical pass sections. you can usually see where there is wear on the black guide on the lower part of the left door...the vertical pass area is harder to tell. I would also suggest replacing the tandem paper feed unit if you have not done that. Tray 1 on it always goes out....but tray 2 never. I usually replace the unit and default tray 2 as the default tray to make the unit last longer. The clutches in the unit just suck. And the last thing to look at is make sure the torque limiter in the tray is not cracked on the seperate roller for tray 1. They are rated at 800k but normally dont make it. The improved version does better but i usually dont see them make it.
    I 100% agree with the suggestion of replacing the Tandem PF Unit.
    You've mentioned the sheet feeds only slightly out of the tray. Sounds exactly like a clutch, shaft, broken pin, fallen e-ring or stripped gear within the Tandem PF Unit. As soon as there is any load, it fails.
    The whole Tandem PF Unit has had heaps of part updates within it, including most of the above parts. If your Serial Number is a production date before June 2010, definitely look at the Tandem PF Unit.