Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

fn-18 intermittently stops in saddle stitch

This doesn't jam every time. After about eight it decides to stop in the saddle stitch area. Will sometimes make a rubbing type sound that indicates a jam coming up. Have also seen papers go into s s, stop, & fin rollers just keep running on possibly even louder & faster. Eventually stopping to log a jam. A couple times I cleared out all the paper & machine wouldn't reset jam until it was power cycled.

Since I don't have x ray eyes or hands that pass through solid matter I can't even start to grasp what is going on. Has codes of ppd2_fin, fsfh_s,pdppd2_s. Manuals have told me little. I changed two sensors for the rotating rollers in s s, and cleaned the transport rollers again. In the end I a job of eight & 2 jobs of 10 to go through, but that's all the rest they needed now.

So I can't say if it's properly fixed by now. When they go back to printing out a lot of booklets I may have a lot of problems again. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out more ideas. I wonder if you out there have had to wrestle with the saddle stitcher & what you may have found.
    Thank you for your consideration.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: fn-18 intermittently stops in saddle stitch

I know this is gonna sound elementary but I would double check to make sure the machine and finisher are level (just because the plastic looks level it may not be. some machines may have to look not level to actually be level).....and that the paper is being run on the proper settings for that type of paper. the other thing i would warn against is if they are printing heavy coverage on 20lb paper it will cause it to slip and curl and throw the machine timing off eventually enough to cause a a random jam. sharp suggests using at least 24lb paper for heavy color printing. other things to look at would be firmware, and check the 50-10 adjustments for the trays. again...these affect machine timing in general. hope this helps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

I 100% agree with the above.
    A level machine and correct stock make heaps of difference.

What is the Finisher Firmware?
    PPD2_FIN were fixed with version 01.08.02.g0
    You might simply need some newer firmware to resolve these problems.

As PPD2_FIN is more of a communication error, and the other codes are transport jam codes, there may be a communication problem between the finisher and the machine. Make sure you've got the latest firmware for the machine and finisher, and ensure all cabling is correctly installed (even reseat the Punch Unit harness if fitted).
    Last edited by Prints Charming; 04-08-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

had the same problem once,

Swapped FSS203 sensor (0CW4G85141001) and all was fine.

cant seem to find the technical report though...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boutn View Post
    had the same problem once,

Swapped FSS203 sensor (0CW4G85141001) and all was fine.

cant seem to find the technical report though...

Different machine unfortunately.
    You're mentioning one of the saddle transport sensors on the MXFN22, which is a completely different finisher to the MXFN18. That sensor only exists in the MXFN22.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prints Charming View Post
    Different machine unfortunately.
    You're mentioning one of the saddle transport sensors on the MXFN22, which is a completely different finisher to the MXFN18. That sensor only exists in the MXFN22.
    whoops, sorry about that