Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    FN18 saddle stitch jamming

This FN18 was on a 4141 at the customers office. Brought it to the shop and put it on a 4110 with a rb11 pass unit which is different than what the 4141 uses.It does exactly 11 sets and then stops in the middle of the 12th set every time. It gives a code PDPPD2_s which is sensor in the pass unit. This is the same code it was giving at the customers. I replaced the sensors in the pass unit,but does same thing on shop machine. We replaced the saddle stitch control board and most sensors in the finnisher. We installed the latest firmware for the machine and the firmware listed for just the finnisher.I am at a loss on this one. Also I turned off misfeed detection and I guess with saddlestitch that does not work because I could not get anything out of machine.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: FN18 saddle stitch jamming

I have seen this caused by the punch unit, usually the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by romang View Post
    I have seen this caused by the punch unit, usually the sensors.
    Thanks for the suggestion,my luck this one does not have a punch unit.

This code says the paper is still at the last sensor in the paper pass unit.

Check the level and height of the finisher.

I have seen this happen when the finisher is not at the proper height or is not level front to rear.

Are the mylars on the exit of the copier installed properly?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Are you running saddle job or regular staple job when it does it? Does it jam on sort/nonsort jobs ? This might help narrow it down. It will help to know if it jams on all output types or just one type of job.

It only jams when saddlestitching. It gives the same jam code of the paper pass unit on the customers machine and on our shop machine. The biggest thing I think is that it jams everytime at 11 sets. The machine just stops as the 12th set is ready to be folded. Remove the jams and run again-it jams after the 11th set comes out and just before the 12th would be folded.I talked to sharp techsupport,they had nothing at all.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

I believe the problem could be one of these.
    1. The Main Finisher Controller PCB. You replaced the Saddle Controller PCB which is unrelated and does not communicate with the transport unit MXRB20 or your shop MXRB11. The Transport Unit is powered and controlled by the finisher Main Controller PCB. An earth or timing problem within the controller will cause an issue that can be replicated on the same job or counter. Ensure the bottom metal rail is fitted to help with earthing. The Main controller has had a few part updates over time.
    2. The PDPPD2 sensor spring is weak. After running several sheets, the timing becomes incorrect due to the poor sensor return speed. Add an extra turn to the spring to make it faster response timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prints Charming View Post
    I believe the problem could be one of these.
    1. The Main Finisher Controller PCB. You replaced the Saddle Controller PCB which is unrelated and does not communicate with the transport unit MXRB20 or your shop MXRB11. The Transport Unit is powered and controlled by the finisher Main Controller PCB. An earth or timing problem within the controller will cause an issue that can be replicated on the same job or counter. Ensure the bottom metal rail is fitted to help with earthing. The Main controller has had a few part updates over time.
    2. The PDPPD2 sensor spring is weak. After running several sheets, the timing becomes incorrect due to the poor sensor return speed. Add an extra turn to the spring to make it faster response timing.

Thanks, I was thinking the the finnisher main control board,mainly because it is about the only things left. But your explanation is more based on facts and theory instead of mine based on onl thing left. Since the finnisher is mounted to the machine and does not pull out there is not a bottom rail. It would be easy enough to connect a ground wire between the two. I will also add a wrap to the spring on the pass unit at the customers. Thanks for your reply and your explanation.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Still must have the bottom rail fitted. Look at the installation manual. Its used for earthing & straight positioning, despite the fact that model finisher does not slide away from the main unit.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I second the extra wrap on the spring for the switch, try that first before spending money on boards.