Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

MX3140 Desk unit trouble with some trays

This problem just started recently. Have a 3 tray desk unit attached to an MX3140

Tray 4 (the bottom tray) works fine.

Tray 3 will not register that it has paper, all sensors work but it will not reset with sim 17. Lift up motor never engages but it recognizes that the tray is closed.

Tray 2 will work fine until you open the tray, for any reason, then it will not register that it has paper in it. Will reset with sim 17 and work fine again. It also has an interesting side note, when it doesn't recognize that it has paper it will still print 1 page then jam (jam code is Tray2), open the tray and close it and it will feed 1 sheet of paper and jam.

Updated the firmware and have reseated all of the connectors for all paper feed assemblies and the boards and connectors on the desk unit. Going back shortly with some new sensors but not sure if that's the right direction. Don't have any of these paper feed assemblies to swap and do not want to use tray 4 in case something happens to it.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestion you might have.

Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: MX3140 Desk unit trouble with some trays

There is a bulliten to replace faulty sensors on this model. I think it can be as many as 15 sensors.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX3140 Desk unit trouble with some trays

I think the sensors are a good start. Have you done a sensor test to see if they working (Sim 4-2, 4-3)?

Did the sensor check and found something interesting about tray 2. When you pull out the tray the CPED2 sensor activates but when you push it back in it stays activated. You can reset it in sim 17. I did replace the paper size detect module for tray 2 also to no effect.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Bil

Replaced both sensors in tray 2 and 3 paper feed units and that resolved the problem. Go figure!!

Thank you for all of the help.

Bil

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I know the issue is resolved from a previous post...but I would strongly recommend replacing all sensors in the feed units ANY time you have an issue whether that sensor is effected or not. This is a common issue with the older sensor style and it happens more that I hate to admit. We found that if all the sensors get replaced it saves future service calls and the less the clients sees service the better. The sensors are in all feed heads in the trays and in the adf. I also do the same thing any time I find a bad old style sensor in the adf, again to prevent recalls for the same or similar issue. Its also a good idea to run SIM 50-28 for each tray any time a tech is on site just to be safe, or do 50-10 adjustment whichever you prefer.