just another tech 100+ Posts

Pamphlet/ Saddle Stitch and Fold a Legal size document on MX-FN18 MX-5141N

This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance, but I have a customer wanting to print a Word document as a pamphlet using Legal sized paper. They want it folded in half so each page will be 8.5x7" and folded and stapled (saddle stitch). They claim they have been working on it all day and can't get it to work. They can do it on Ledger of course, but not legal. It's on a Sharp MX-5141N with an FN18 Saddle Stitch Finisher.

I have a similar model in the shop (with internal finisher, not saddle stitch) and printed a pamphlet on legal with each page 8.5x7 so I know it prints it just fine. I couldn't test the fold and staple mode in the shop. My question is will the FN18 Saddle Stitch Finisher fold and staple Legal sized paper in half? Or would they have to print them all, then fold and staple manually? If so, they would be better off printing it on Ledger paper.

Seems simple, but I haven't ever tried or had a customer ask. It's a good drive to get to the customer so I wanted to know if it's possible before driving to try it for them. Thanks guys.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Re: Pamphlet/ Saddle Stitch and Fold a Legal size document on MX-FN18 MX-5141N

The service manual under specs should tell you what paper sizes can be stapled/folded (pamphlet mode).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Manual shows that it can be done. We have several clients that do their pamphlets on legal size it actually looks better than letter-R. It can be tricky to print and get the image to shrink properly, if they are using publisher export the document as a pdf and you can work with it easier. As a last resort they can always print out the individual pages and then copy them in pamphlet mode choosing that tray and auto-size..

Good luck

Bil

The documents need to be formatted to 8.5 X 7.

You can't do it with documents formatted to 8.5 X 11.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I too have a customer that folds legal size with FN18