What is the latest firmware version for Sharp MX-4501N?

I would like to make sure my machine has the latest firmware. i have an MX-4501N and I am having trouble scanning to network folder on Windows 10 computers. This was not a problem with Windows 7 computers, and nothing seems to be working. I am hoping a firmware update will solve the problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Re: What is the latest firmware version for Sharp MX-4501N?

Holy god 4501?

I'm sorry to tell you buddy, but Windows 10 only provides smb2 support to prevent wannacry and other ransomware attacks.

4501 only supports smb1.

Even scan to email is going to be obsolete with that model due to TLS version 1.2 support being unavailable to this model.

You have a few options though.
    You can either rollback smb2 support on a Windows 10 to smb1, but you will put the security of the company at risk.

You can try using FTP, that would work great I think.

You can set up a win7 scan slave that has smb1, and the machines some purpose is for files, but... Still a security risk.

Honestly, just use it as a copier and printer. :|

I'm sorry, but it's time to upgrade if you want to use the scanning features safely. Good luck friend.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. Assuming then that Sharp isnt providing firmware updates anymore for 4501n to rectify these types of issues? Unfortunately, machine is in a small business and replacing it isn’t an economically feasible option at the present time. Also, scanning is the number one thing we use the machine for right now - far more than copying and printing. Scan to email works, but much slower and more cumbersome than scan to network and too inefficient for our scanning needs.

Fortunately, were not working with the most highly-sensitive stuff here; and while security is not unimportant, its also not the top concern. We used Windows 7 computers for years with no problems. Just recently upgraded all computers this year (including the scan slave) to Windows 10 not realizing this would be an issue. Im not really an IT person and have limited knowledge of computers and netowrking, but I did some searching before posting here and had found something about windows 10 and smb1. I tried to enable smb1 on the windows 10 scan machine, but it didnt solve problem, and still getting an error message every time i try to scan to the network folder on that computer. Maybe i didnt do everything right to ensble smb1 on win10 machine?

Is there a site with step-by-step instructions or tech article from sharp on this issue and/or how to modify win10 machine to make it work with older mfps? I like the idea of ftp too, but not sure how to set it up. If anyone knows a site with instructions for doing that, Id be most grateful for the link.

I guess downgrading machine to Win7 would be last resort. Alot of work to wipe machine and reinstall everyhing, plus issue of microsoft not providing fixes/updates for win7 anymore (which is only reason we went to win10 in first place).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

use this FTP util on the machine receiving scans...

Quick 'n Easy FTP Server Lite

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mansart View Post
    use this FTP util on the machine receiving scans...

Quick 'n Easy FTP Server Lite
    I second this. Quick and easy is... quick and easy FTP.

Out of courtesy, I will show you how to enable SMBv1. Instructions are found here, on Microsoft's Document Library:
    How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows | Microsoft Docs

Again, in good conscience I recommend you do not enable SMBv1. That protocol has a lot of vulnerabilities and enabling SMBv1 will weaken your clients network security infrastructure. It's like a door made of glass. Yeah, it will keep most people out, but a lot of people know how to throw rocks now a days.

And while FTP also has it's issues, it's better than SMBv1.

Nevertheless, instructions are found in that link. Good luck my friend.

Sharp / Brother Tech

For older machines I use the Network Scanner Tool Lite from Sharp. (Sharp - Download)
    Quite easy to setup and usually always finds old generations.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Just downloaded and tried it out. Very easy.

Interesting to me that this software does not appear on the USA site, because this seems like a very easy way around limitations on SMB, without having to use a third party software.

And free... no license required

Sharp / Brother Tech

Yeah it isn't on our Austrian/German SharpOne Portal either.
    Just found it by accident when I was looking up something for Sharpdesk.

Now I've been using it for over a year, but sometimes in bugs out when creating a new profile, a reinstall usually fixes it.

The network scanning tool works great. Easy install, and we are now able to scan again to a designated folder.