Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX-3100N adu gate soliniod location?

I'm having an issue on an MX-3100N when the paper duplexes it jams in the fuser area with a dogear as it tries to go into adu gate on 8x11 but will not jam on 8x11R. So far I have replaced these items to try to resolve the issue 1) new fuser kit 2) new exit assembly 3) replaced the right side door still have exact jamming issue, I believe it could be the gate solenoid but can't seem to locate where it is. I really hate to ask but am sick of looking at the parts manual and not locating it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the client needs to be in a newer copier as well, sales is working on it.

Re: MX-3100N adu gate soliniod location?

This is a common problem *if* you have a bridge unit. The gate solenoid lever breaks. Accessed by removing the bridge front cover, easy enough. PN 0CW4145P00401

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I'm pretty sure the adu gate doesn't have a solenoid, only gravity once the trail edge passes and paper is reversed. The key will be to figure out where the dog ear is occurring. Probably from the fuser. It doesn't handle LTR full page color very well. Adding fuser oil to the fuser rollers will help for a short time, but running LTR R works better.

Quote Originally Posted by kdr363 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the adu gate doesn't have a solenoid, only gravity once the trail edge passes and paper is reversed. The key will be to figure out where the dog ear is occurring. Probably from the fuser. It doesn't handle LTR full page color very well. Adding fuser oil to the fuser rollers will help for a short time, but running LTR R works better.
    Thank you, I believe you are correct. What I am going to try to do is swap out the fuser with an account down the road. I installed a rebuild kit, but did not replace the entire fuser unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    This is a common problem *if* you have a bridge unit. The gate solenoid lever breaks. Accessed by removing the bridge front cover, easy enough. PN 0CW4145P00401
    thank you, JR2ALTA, you are correct, except this unit does not have a finisher attached and no bridge unit, I appreciate the input.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Does it have the right side exit tray? If so, the solenoid wires (for the exit tray) may not be routed correctly so the gate fully opens and closes.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Does it have the right side exit tray? If so, the solenoid wires (for the exit tray) may not be routed correctly so the gate fully opens and closes.
    Thank you, Zootech, I thought the same thing as the original door does have the right side exit tray and I swapped it out with a right side door without one, but it still jams on duplex only because of a dog ear. I thought maybe after installing a new exit unit it would resolve the issue but it still dog ears. New exit unit, new fuser kit, different right door. I am going to swap fusers with a know working one to see if the dog earing still persists. I also am thinking maybe there is not enough pressure on the fuser pick because of a stretched spring possibly ( they visually looked good).

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

When you switched right side drawer without the rt side exit tray, did you reset 26-1?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    When you switched right side drawer without the rt side exit tray, did you reset 26-1?
    Yes.

Went back out last week to the client to "try something," I put an extra wrap on springs for the upper and lower fuser picks, turned the paper back to 8.5 X 11 and it seems to have resolved the issue of jamming on duplex.