Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Re: Printing across a VPN hybrid network

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    If you choose the custom install of the print driver and install it by IP address will that work?

The print driver does not have to find the copier on the network during setup.
    No, when I add the IP address it states that no such device exists or something similar and won't go past that point.

Bil

Actually I will have to go back and check something, but I'm pretty sure I did this as it is one of my go to alternatives

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    DO NOT use WSD drivers...they’re the worst. They sometimes work, but not normally. Always use drivers from the printer manufacturer.

WSD ports are flakey as anything, too.
    I agree but I was desperate to get something to work LOL

Bil

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    No, when I add the IP address it states that no such device exists or something similar and won't go past that point.

Bil

Actually I will have to go back and check something, but I'm pretty sure I did this as it is one of my go to alternatives

If you choose custom install the print driver does not search for the machine on the network.

You are forcing the computer to print to the IP address you install in the driver.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Might be worth trying to capture the print port and see what happens. Don't use WSD though, it is dog shit technology, typical MS!
    Capturing basically maps a hidden TCP/IP port to a published local port.

The capturing should be something like:-

NET USE LPT4 \\<servername>\<printersharename> /persistent:yes

e.g. If you wanted to print from Sage DOS to your HP Laserjet 4250 printer you would setup this command on each machine

NET USE LPT4 \\fs2-w2k3\HPLJ4250 /persistent:yes

This would assume within the printer settings options your printer is set to print to LPT4.

The program should then print to any network or local based printer as long as the capturing (port mapping or whatever reference you would like to use for this) is setup correctly.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post

Bil

The MX4141N driver won't let you continue if it can't find the machine, but Sharp's Universal driver will let you continue. It still might not work, but you'll be one step closer.