Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MX-C304W admin password reset not possible

Hello,

recently acquired a Sharp MX-C304W from an auction. Machine is in great condition and works just fine.
    The problem is that there is no one left to ask what the admin password is as the company is dissolved.

I need to change the network settings as these are absolutely unsuitale for my network configuration.
    Tried the usual Sim 24-30, but the 30 is refused with the double beep, so i assume it's actually not there
    instead of simply hidden. Neither 30 nor 31 is listed in the 24 sub-menu.
    I also tried all the switches on the mainboard in different combinations, no luck, reset just won't work
    and none od the switch combination enables the desired sim mode.
    Service login works just fine with standard service password, but no way to change network settings
    there.

I am not a Sharp Tech and my epertise lies more in the old and heavy stuff where toner came in bottles
    and service modes were enabled with jumper wires instead of punching magic numbers on touch screens.

Tried to contact Sharp, but (politely speaking) they are not exactly helpful.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers, Mike

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: MX-C304W admin password reset not possible

You may be SOL and need to get a Sharp tech. I think they have to retrieve a code from within the copier, call Sharp and Sharp will generate a new code to allow you to change password.

Quote Originally Posted by MHeon71 View Post
    You may be SOL and need to get a Sharp tech. I think they have to retrieve a code from within the copier, call Sharp and Sharp will generate a new code to allow you to change password.
    Thanks for your reply.

There is in fact an 8 digit code you can read out, the irony is that i emailed this including purchase
    history and machine serial number to Sharp tech support, they just can't be bothered to help.
    This thing is just 13 months old, but it seems after sales does not really exist.

I am pretty sure there is a workaround, also the machine has no security kit installed,
    I think it just needs the right person with the right knowledge.
    I already pulled the 24C256 EEPROM and replaced it by a blank, it powered up with a fault
    and when i put the original back it took a while to boot and then the screen looked somewhat
    different, so perhaps that's something to have a closer look at.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Try doing 62-1 format all

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Or try 67-17

Thanks for the replies, including the PM's

With a bit of much appreciated help, i was able to figure out who sold the machine when new.
    Sent them an email and a day later they sent me the password, no hassle, no drame,
    no silly questions and it was completely free of charge.
    Splendid customer service from Active8 (UK company)

It turned out that with this machine most likely the only way is requesting the unlocking
    key from Sharp, I considered formatting or hacking into the web IF as options.
    Another way might be downloading the security settings and manually edit them, but being
    somehow encrypyed, it would be a challenge, too. (service login was on default password)
    Someone from Germany PM'd me and said that Sharp is asking 500 Euros for the unlocking
    key, that's just insane.

Thanks again, Mike

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

On KonMin and other brands you can reset admin pass in service mode. Sounds like Sharp is doing it wrong way, ie. if IT changed default Admin password and left company.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    On KonMin and other brands you can reset admin pass in service mode. Sounds like Sharp is doing it wrong way, ie. if IT changed default Admin password and left company.
    Totally agree, someone must have lost the plot there, most systems i know got some sort of back door for
    the service guy. As said earlier, i was growing into the business with jumper wires and power on key sequences.

It looks like the well known Sharp back door has been removed on most recent models.
    Now they can charge ridiculus money to unlock a machine which might be worth less than their fee,....

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Its not a Sharp thing its a California law which will affect all manufacturers. Read this Default Password and the 2020 California Password Law (SB-327) - At Your Service

Quote Originally Posted by romang View Post
    Its not a Sharp thing its a California law which will affect all manufacturers. Read this Default Password and the 2020 California Password Law (SB-327) - At Your Service
    Well, that's for CA only, so i don't really care what their law is because i am in England.
    As far as i know, alot of products must be modified to pass CA law, so why not just
    having a dedicated CA firmware instead of pestering the rest of the world with this nonsense.

Essentially nothing wrong with the policy as such, but it should not end up in insane
    fees (or other obstacles) for someone with a legitimate requirement for an unlock code.