Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Sharp MX3640 fuser noise

So I have a mx3640 that continues to build toner and make the screeching noise like the web is locking up. I have confirmed that the client is not running machine out of spec or heavy coverage or anything like that. I have also eliminated the paper by both testing my hammermill paper in their machine and their paper in another 3640. Here’s a list of everything else that has been tried.

device control fuser mode normal and 23lb plus has been tried
    all fuser temps have been reset per manual
    fusing unit has been replaced twice with new units
    fuser drive unit has been replaced
    print density is on Norma defaults for print and copies
    web speed has been increased per service bulletin
    firmware has been updated-we have considered replacing the sd card and hard drive and reloading from scratch
    confirmed power into machine and to all boards is correct
    enabled after job web compulsory action to try and stop the noise at the cost of web life
    machine is set to proper destination and not in a high humidity or dirty or hot/cold environment

anyone have any other suggestions??? I haven’t called the hotline yet but that’s probably the next step for what it’s worth

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Sharp MX3640 fuser noise

Re: Sharp MX3640 fuser noise

I see where you have installed new fuser units and tech bulletins concerning this issue.1.) I ask this just to confirm, with those new fuser units, are they the latest units from Sharp with the updated fuser web assembly with all the updates applied? as well as the updated routing of the fuser web, etc? 2.) Is the client running full bleed prints?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

They are brand new units from sharp and they have been tested in other machines where they work fine. Client runs health care type forms and no bleed to speak of just mostly bw text. Very rarely even uses color at all.

Multibrands Tech 250+ Posts rapidocument's Avatar

Try a registration clutch change. it happened to me once. An apparent screeching from the fuser turned out to be the registration clutch oxid buildup.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Sharp MX3640 fuser noise

The company I work for uses generic toner,it sucks and creats many problems but they still think the cheaper price is better. We had a couple machines doing this same thing. When we switched those customers to oem toner the problem went away.