Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MX-4140N Admin Pwd Reset OR EM Firmware Update?..

Now I know your thinking search the F*ing forum, well I have and every thing points to SIM24-30 which is all fine and good...

Except I cant get to them because Sharp updated that out without giving the end user an easy way to get to it.

Welp took the back cover off accessed the board and flipped that dip switch and it wont boot at all nothing but black screen & fan spin.

Now if I flip the switch for the EM Firmware update it will boot to it. Just not the one with sdboot off next to it.

Having said all of that what is the best course of action from here?..

Thanks for the help,
    -Mike

I am not a full-time copy tech but its a hobby of mine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MX-4140N Admin Pwd Reset OR EM Firmware Update?..

Quote Originally Posted by thaiceman View Post
    Now I know your thinking search the F*ing forum, well I have and every thing points to SIM24-30 which is all fine and good...

Except I cant get to them because Sharp updated that out without giving the end user an easy way to get to it.

Welp took the back cover off accessed the board and flipped that dip switch and it wont boot at all nothing but black screen & fan spin.

Now if I flip the switch for the EM Firmware update it will boot to it. Just not the one with sdboot off next to it.

Having said all of that what is the best course of action from here?..

Thanks for the help,
    -Mike

I am not a full-time copy tech but its a hobby of mine.

Firmware is NOT given to end users... I doubt the Admin password reset either.

you have to be a certified tech on this equipment to get manuals / firmware unless some good hearted and foolish tech will give it to you.. they could lose their tech ID and their company could lose the ability to sell/service this brand if caught

please review forum rile #5

be recourse HIRE a trained tech...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Firmware is NOT given to end users... I doubt the Admin password reset either.

you have to be a certified tech on this equipment to get manuals / firmware unless some good hearted and foolish tech will give it to you.. they could lose their tech ID and their company could lose the ability to sell/service this brand if caught

please review forum rile #5

be recourse HIRE a trained tech...

Hiring a trained tech is not an option for a machine I was given as swap on labor, onto the password I'm the dumbass that set it and forgot it.

I've already gotten the service manuals for this machine and a few others I own, servicing a machine is much like working on your own car not only is it not illegal it is activity encouraged in law companies like Sharp would prefer you go through proper channels to preserve their bottom line.

As I said earlier I am not a copy tech but what I am is a general IT tech which means I've spent the last 20 years working on and fixing/configuring Printers, Scanners, Fax Machines, Copiers, Servers, Networking Equipment, & of course Computers. In my current stable of printers I've got HP, OKI, Xerox, & Sharp & every one of them are cloak and dagger about servicing their machines.

I'm not asking for anyone to break any rules I am asking if anyone has any suggestions other then "HIRE a trained tech" because I am more then trained enough to fix the problem I lack the tools and knowledge which is why I am here.

-Mike

Hiring a trained tech is not an option for a machine I was given as swap on labor, onto the password I'm the dumbass that set it and forgot it.

I've already gotten the service manuals for this machine and a few others I own, servicing a machine is much like working on your own car not only is it not illegal it is activity encouraged in law companies like Sharp would prefer you go through proper channels to preserve their bottom line.

As I said earlier I am not a copy tech but what I am is a general IT tech which means I've spent the last 20 years working on and fixing/configuring Printers, Scanners, Fax Machines, Copiers, Servers, Networking Equipment, & of course Computers. In my current stable of printers I've got HP, OKI, Xerox, & Sharp & every one of them are cloak and dagger about servicing their machines.

I'm not asking for anyone to break any rules I am asking if anyone has any suggestions other then "HIRE a trained tech" because I am more then trained enough to fix the problem I lack the tools and knowledge which is why I am here.

-Mike
    Rule #1 WRITE DOWN THE PASSWORDS AND GIVE THE TO THE END USER.. if they don't have the brains to keep up with the damn passwords I DO! SHOULD BE IT 101. st least for us COPIER TECHS that have to deal with DUMBASS IT FUCKER S.
    DONE WITH YOU PINHEAD. LEARN THE INS N OUTS OF YOUR TRADE OR GO SHOVEL MANURE

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

-Mike
    No offense intended. You say that you don't have the tools or knowledge to repair the machine and in the next breath you say you're qualified to fix it. It doesn't make any sense. It's like me saying that I've never performed open heart surgery but I'm qualified to do it if only I had the tools and knowledge.

I don't know what it is about copiers but everyone thinks they're qualified. With that said, I hope you find the help that you need. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Rule #1 WRITE DOWN THE PASSWORDS AND GIVE THE TO THE END USER.. if they don't have the brains to keep up with the damn passwords I DO! SHOULD BE IT 101. st least for us COPIER TECHS that have to deal with DUMBASS IT FUCKER S.
    DONE WITH YOU PINHEAD. LEARN THE INS N OUTS OF YOUR TRADE OR GO SHOVEL MANURE
    Holy hell man the butt hurt is strong with you, if that is the way you treat the end users you deal with I am surprised your still working in any industry let alone as a copy tech.

I am the jack wagon who changed the default password I fully admit that & yeah it was dumb not to scribble the damn thing down now I am attempting to correct that mistake you don't have to go all IM KING SHIT of copier techs with full douche bag mode caps lock and start talking down to people.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    No offense intended. You say that you don't have the tools or knowledge to repair the machine and in the next breath you say you're qualified to fix it. It doesn't make any sense.

I don't know what it is about copiers but everyone thinks they're qualified. With that said, I hope you find the help that you need. Good luck.
    No offense taken. Prehaps "more then trained enough" should have been clarified more I do repair work on a daily basis not generally on printers/copiers in fact I tend to avoid them like the plague because of the cloak and dagger BS involved in servicing them. The only reason I ever even bother with printer work now days is when it is my own personal toy such is the case here.

I am not so big that I cant admit my mistakes and not so dumb I cant ask for help which is what brought me to this forum in the first place.

-Mike

Holy hell man the butt hurt is strong with you, if that is the way you treat the end users you deal with I am surprised your still working in any industry let alone as a copy tech.

I am the jack wagon who changed the default password I fully admit that & yeah it was dumb not to scribble the damn thing down now I am attempting to correct that mistake you don't have to go all IM KING SHIT of copier techs with full douche bag mode caps lock and start talking down to people.

No offense taken. Prehaps "more then trained enough" should have been clarified more I do repair work on a daily basis not generally on printers/copiers in fact I tend to avoid them like the plague because of the cloak and dagger BS involved in servicing them. The only reason I ever even bother with printer work now days is when it is my own personal toy such is the case here.

I am not so big that I cant admit my mistakes and not so dumb I cant ask for help which is what brought me to this forum in the first place.

-Mike
    I hear ya, man. All I was saying it that when a person is "qualified" to repair a piece of equipment that means they possess the knowledge required or they're really not qualified.

I think what you're trying to say is that you're capable of following instructions if someone would be so kind as to help you out.

I'm not qualified to speak on this machine or I would help you out. I'm sure someone will be along to offer some advice

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

I think you are flipping the wrong dip switches. There are 2 sets on this board. 1 is pretty easy to see and is located near the edge of the board and easy to toggle the other is a very small micro switch normally located somewhere near the middle of the board and is difficult to toggle (I always have to use a tiny screwdriver to toggle). I will have to look at our parts machine at work to get the precise location. If it still has that board anyway.

Good luck.

Bil

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    I think you are flipping the wrong dip switches. There are 2 sets on this board. 1 is pretty easy to see and is located near the edge of the board and easy to toggle the other is a very small micro switch normally located somewhere near the middle of the board and is difficult to toggle (I always have to use a tiny screwdriver to toggle). I will have to look at our parts machine at work to get the precise location. If it still has that board anyway.

Good luck.

Bil
    Hot damn I'm a blind asshole, 2 inches to the right of the two switches I have been screwing with is the switch in question & you are absolutely correct my dumbass has been monkeying with the wrong set of switches.

Edit: For anyone looking at this thread in the future the switches above the IO are not the ones you are looking for, the ones you need are to the right of the SD card slot and slightly below it.

-Mike

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

On this model, there is a metal plate over the MFP board. Cut into that plate is the only "square" cutout of that panel (other cutouts are rectangles). Behind this square is where the 2 dip switches are located. I have posted this pictures several times but the site is being squirrely right now. These dip switches are TINY. One is to force calibrate the operation panel the other for password reset. If you flip the a switch and get a blank screen with plus signs, that is the panel calibration, power off machine and flip the other switch.

And dont pay Phil B no mind, he is the local old fart who loves to spout off at the mouth. He picked up where Paul the manual guy left off when he died. Retired, old and fat, hasnt seen his dick or toes since the Reagn administration...the first one.

Good luck.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!