Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MX2651 & Chromebook

Can anyone assist with getting a chrome book to print to a MX2651. It’s a standard mx2651 plugged into the customers network. I downloaded the Sharpdesk app but cannot find the printer?

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: MX2651 & Chromebook

Chromebook will only support certain printers and is basically a browser with a laptop built around it. You can go into the settings>printers and add and configure new printers. If your device is not listed, it is not supported by Chromebook.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Can you access the copier from the browser (I don't work on Sharp's but I'm guessing it has a web interface?) That would at least confirm you are on the same network as the copier. If the Chromebook has an app for Sharp's but it isn't showing up then my next step would be to confirm it can at least see the copier. I've had many customers that have had wireless networks that were separate from the wired network the copier was on. Confirm they don't have a guest network that the Chromebook is connecting to automatically. Might want to double check that the Sharp app doesn't need the copier on the same subnet or it might have a manual IP option as typically when it "scans" for devices it only scans the current subnet its on. If the wireless network is a different subnet than the wired network my bet is you might need to manually add the copier's IP to the app for it to connect.

A few things there to get you started, let us know how you make out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX2651 & Chromebook

copierman 250+ Posts
    MX2651 & Chromebook

Quote Originally Posted by Leebs14 View Post
    Can anyone assist with getting a chrome book to print to a MX2651. It’s a standard mx2651 plugged into the customers network. I downloaded the Sharpdesk app but cannot find the printer?
    I have set up sharps with a chromebook in the past, as I remember I needed postscript.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Quote Originally Posted by leo34staffs View Post
    I have set up sharps with a chromebook in the past, as I remember I needed postscript.
    Can't confirm with MX2651 but from my experience PS kit required for MX2314 with Chrome OS.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

If you are using the Sharpdesk mobile app, you will have to set up the default printer before using it. Also, you can setup a wifi direct connection to the machine but the machines SSID, usrename and password must be configured. You are also limited to 5 user with wifi direct and the device is connected to the device wifi, not the main network.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!