Sharp MX-2610N Address Book Icon Question

I've got a client who has a Sharp MX-2610N printer, and only two of the contacts on this printer have what appears to be black, people icons next to their names. One of the contacts is a scan-to-folder contact and the other is a scan-to-email contact.
    Scanning functions, whether to email or folder, are both working, but the client is concerned that those icons means something "bad." I'm fairly certain that they don't mean there is any sort of problem with either contact, but for the life of me, I can't find any info online about exactly what those icons mean.

The other question is why do only these two contacts have that icon. There are other scan-to-email and scan-to-folder contacts on this printer and they don't have those people icons.

The icons can be seen in the attached images. My co-worker suggested that the "people" icon refers to folder, which would make sense except that there are other folder-contacts on that printer that do not have the people icon next to their names.

Any help in determining precisely what these icons indicate or mean would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX-2610N Address Book Icon Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie405 View Post
    I've got a client who has a Sharp MX-2610N printer, and only two of the contacts on this printer have what appears to be black, people icons next to their names. One of the contacts is a scan-to-folder contact and the other is a scan-to-email contact.
    Scanning functions, whether to email or folder, are both working, but the client is concerned that those icons means something "bad." I'm fairly certain that they don't mean there is any sort of problem with either contact, but for the life of me, I can't find any info online about exactly what those icons mean.

The other question is why do only these two contacts have that icon. There are other scan-to-email and scan-to-folder contacts on this printer and they don't have those people icons.

The icons can be seen in the attached images. My co-worker suggested that the "people" icon refers to folder, which would make sense except that there are other folder-contacts on that printer that do not have the people icon next to their names.

Any help in determining precisely what these icons indicate or mean would be greatly appreciated.
    This makes my day. But I'm not surprised. I recommend dropping the client. They probably can't be fixed.

Edit: I had to read that post again to make sure I was reading it right. Sure enough...lol

I looked at the picture. The dark icon is superimposed on a white envelope background. It's more of a shadow silhouette than the image of a black person. I mean, the image isn't holding a 9mm pistol nor does it have an afro. Tell him to call Sharp if he finds it offensive. Still funny.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

What's wrong about reading the manual
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    This makes my day. But I'm not surprised. I recommend dropping the client. They probably can't be fixed.

Edit: I had to read that post again to make sure I was reading it right. Sure enough...lol

I looked at the picture. The dark icon is superimposed on a white envelope background. It's more of a shadow silhouette than the image of a black person. I mean, the image isn't holding a 9mm pistol nor does it have an afro. Tell him to call Sharp if he finds it offensive. Still funny.
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but the client is not concerned with the fact that the icon is black. And I said "black, people icon" not "black-people icon"

As for the other post about reading the manual, I've read the model's manual as well as several other Sharp manuals at this point, and I've not been able to find anything that denotes what those icons mean. If you think my registering myself on this site and then taking the time to post my question was my first stop, you are sorely mistaken.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but the client is not concerned with the fact that the icon is black. And I said "black, people icon" not "black-people icon"

As for the other post about reading the manual, I've read the model's manual as well as several other Sharp manuals at this point, and I've not been able to find anything that denotes what those icons mean. If you think my registering myself on this site and then taking the time to post my question was my first stop, you are sorely mistaken.
    Okay, I'm clearly confused. You mentioned that the icon was "black" people. And it didn't have a hyphen as you noted.

Here's where I'm confused.

You then said, and I quote: "Scanning functions, whether to email or folder, are both working, but the client is concerned that those icons means something "bad."

What do you mean by something bad?

don't know what manual you are looking at, you might want to look at the ADMIN or Advanced User manual.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post

What do you mean by something bad?
    As far as I can gather from the client, they are thinking that scan-to-email for the email contact with that icon may be sending what's scanned to some other email address other than the one that it's set to go. I asked if they had any reason to think this was happening, and of course they said no. They are thinking that because the icon has multiple people, this means that it's sending whatever is scanned to multiple email addresses.

Yes, I realize this whole case and my time spent on it is silly, but once the call comes in, it's got to be figured out.

If I can just tell the client definitively what those icons represent, then I can put their minds at ease.

As far as I can gather from the client, they are thinking that scan-to-email for the email contact with that icon may be sending what's scanned to some other email address other than the one that it's set to go. I asked if they had any reason to think this was happening, and of course they said no. They are thinking that because the icon has multiple people, this means that it's sending whatever is scanned to multiple email addresses.

Yes, I realize this whole case and my time spent on it is silly, but once the call comes in, it's got to be figured out.

If I can just tell the client definitively what those icons represent, then I can put their minds at ease.

I see. It's important to be clear and specific. When you start talking about black people icons and someone thinking it means something "bad", well, you know....

Why don't you just delete those 2 folders and do it over again? That way you can assure your client that it's only going to one place? Easy, peasy.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I believe what you are seeing is one of the following:

1. On Sharp's, you can have multiple destinations per contact. The address book entry "Bob" can have two destinations, bob@usa.com or \\server\scans\bob. This icon could mean there are multiple scan destinations assigned to that contact.

or

2. The affected destinations are set up as groups and not individuals.

Check the address book edit accordingly. or simpler solution .....(as stated above) delete the contacts in question and re-create.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

The icon you refer to is called a Group Key.
    Its basically the same as a broadcast. When the user was being added to the address book, instead of an individual email or address entered in the address type, the user was created as a 'Group'. When you create a Group, you can add other address book users to the Group, so it will allow you to quickly select the Group to perform a broadcast scan.
    Your Group address may only have one address saved to it. That is fine and explains why your scanning is working. The address book entry for this particular user was created in the wrong process basically. You should still check the Address Book in the machine to confirm there is only one address saved to the Group Key, otherwise your scans are going to other users too.