Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Black build up in drum keeps coming back

Machine is mx-m4070with 70k copies. Black build up in middle of the drum keeps coming back, ill post pictures of it. I cleaned it and it came back in a few days, then replaced the charge, cleaning blade, and drum cylinder and it came back after 2 weeks. Client is using noncarbon paper which I thought was the issue at first but the one he is using is specifically for laser printing. Im thinking of replacing the drum unit and developer unit but im not sure if that will fix it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Black build up in drum keeps coming back

Here are the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Discharge lamp?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I would certainly remain suspicious of the paper. Approved for "laser printing" applies more to fusing than image process.

I've had this paper destroy registration units too. Like it soaks through, eats the glue and the rubber starts to bubble outward. If this is the case it may be buckling as it hits the drum.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the responses! We are also thinking it might have something to do with the lamp so we will probably start with the drum unit. I'll also wanted to show a picture of how copies come out in the non-carbon paper. The white page comes out fine but the yellow and pink one in the back come out with a mark close to where the tray roller would grab the pages so its also adding to my suspicion of the paper even if meant for laser printing. I called the paper manufacturer to see if I needed to set the paper tray to a special mode but they did not know. I'll try sharp in a bit. thumbnail_image0.jpg

What kind of volume are we talking here?

In the image of the drum........what does the MC look like, especially in the corresponding area to the effected (affected--I never know)of the drum?

Is that all toner on drum? or is it pulling developer? does it wipe easily from the drum or is it crusted?

Depending on install environment....I would
    • pull every filter out of machine....let it breath
    • depending on meters I would
      • replace/rebuilt drum unit to include drum
      • same with DV

How long has customer been doing this? Is this a new placement, new problem? or have they been doing it successfully for a long time?

the marks on the yellow and pink is caused by the pick up roller applying pressure to the NCR paper.

You could set the trays that have the yellow and pink to PAPER TYPE: LETTERHEAD. Then load those trays with image side DOWN. Machine will invert the paper prior to imaging. This is used so pick up rollers do not pick up ink from pre printed letterhead.

This may not help if the "non-carbon" is activated by pressure from the back side.

Quote Originally Posted by danny464 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! We are also thinking it might have something to do with the lamp so we will probably start with the drum unit. I'll also wanted to show a picture of how copies come out in the non-carbon paper. The white page comes out fine but the yellow and pink one in the back come out with a mark close to where the tray roller would grab the pages so its also adding to my suspicion of the paper even if meant for laser printing. I called the paper manufacturer to see if I needed to set the paper tray to a special mode but they did not know. I'll try sharp in a bit. thumbnail_image0.jpg

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I ran some tests and the non-carbon is still being activated in reverse. As for volume, they have done 70k in 1.5 years and 85% of what they do is non-carbon paper. The main charge has a black mark where the mark is coming out but I am able to air spray it and it cleans it so its not stuck. The black mark in the drum is crusted and really hard to get out, appears to be developer and toner. Its a new customer so I'm not sure of the history of their old machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danny464 View Post
    Machine is mx-m4070with 70k copies. Black build up in middle of the drum keeps coming back, ill post pictures of it. I cleaned it and it came back in a few days, then replaced the charge, cleaning blade, and drum cylinder and it came back after 2 weeks. Client is using noncarbon paper which I thought was the issue at first but the one he is using is specifically for laser printing. Im thinking of replacing the drum unit and developer unit but im not sure if that will fix it.

Check the toner recovery blade for deformity. I have a customer that does a high volume of NCR and we replace the transfer roller then it goes away until another build-up. Its inevitable. Also put an entire new drum UNIT in it and see if it goes away. GL

Build up on developer roller?
    Whatever