Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MX-C401 APPD1 N jams on 8x14 when duplexing only

MX-C401 jams when duplexing 8x14 paper only, single sided is good. THIS MACHINE IS AN A4 COPIER. It works just fine on 8x11R duplexing but jams every time right before it goes into the right side door causing the APPD1 N jam. I have tried feeding from different paper trays, cleaned the registration roller and all paper path rollers. Any ideas?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Re: MX-C401 APPD1 N jams on 8x14 when duplexing only

What happened when you did an aging test?

Disable jam detection on simulation 6. And go ahead and make a few duplex tests. If it jams then you know that the issue is mechanical, if it doesn't jam then you're looking at one of the sensors.

My experience I've had to replace many a right door on the 402SC models. For a wide myriad of reasons from a broken gate to noisy belt and grinding noises. I've also had issues with the finisher jamming when doing duplex.

Another issue of encountered frequently with these models is the plastic tends to get eaten by the paper. And so often times on the actuator there's an indentation where the paper would hit it and those few milliseconds of delay cause paper not reached jams.

Good luck. MX-C401 APPD1 N jams on 8x14 when duplexing only

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    What happened when you did an aging test?

Disable jam detection on simulation 6. And go ahead and make a few duplex tests. If it jams then you know that the issue is mechanical, if it doesn't jam then you're looking at one of the sensors.

My experience I've had to replace many a right door on the 402SC models. For a wide myriad of reasons from a broken gate to noisy belt and grinding noises. I've also had issues with the finisher jamming when doing duplex.

Another issue of encountered frequently with these models is the plastic tends to get eaten by the paper. And so often times on the actuator there's an indentation where the paper would hit it and those few milliseconds of delay cause paper not reached jams.

Good luck. MX-C401 APPD1 N jams on 8x14 when duplexing only

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
    No I did not run the sim 6, Sam. We do have a few right doors in stock, so I will bring one with me when I go back and run the sim 6 as well.

Thanks for the help, Sam. I was able to make it back to the client, today. I first removed the finisher and it ran double sided 8x14 with no issues, I swapped out the finisher, jammed on duplex, swapped out right door, jammed on duplex. I ran simulation 6, disabled the jam detection, jammed on duplex, but of course no jam indication. So, my next step would be to start replacing those damn clutches..fun, fun, fun.

Make sure the delivery guide isn't broken !

Quote Originally Posted by Dcopyman View Post
    Make sure the delivery guide isn't broken !
    Thanks, Dcopyman. I pulled out the delivery section in pieces (not the entire unit), cut the jam sensor wire ties just to make sure they were not to tight, cleaned all the paper path rollers in that section, put an extra wrap on the jam sensor flags, just to make sure they were not lagging and causing a late jam. I may just find a parts machine laying around and swap the whole delivery section, possibly. I just do not understand why the legal only jams on duplex when the finisher is installed. I even swapped out the finisher with a known working one...that's why I believe it's the clutches possibly. I remember when these boxes were first produced, they were always jamming and doing strange garbage and the clutches were part of that BS and they were a pain to replace, especially out in the field. I remember arguing with my service manager at the time about it, this is the same guy that I told the fusers were never meant to be rebuilt in the customers office in less than an hour total for the entire call, I remember the instructor saying these were modular machines and were meant to be replaced, not rebuilt.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Long shot. If you are old enough to remember (and I think you are) the early SF-7750 would only jam on legal paper. I think it had something to do with the lower fuser pressure arms.

Swapping the fuser might be worth a shot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Clam_Clam.jpg

Just for you, the double clam shell from our museum.

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    Long shot. If you are old enough to remember (and I think you are) the early SF-7750 would only jam on legal paper. I think it had something to do with the lower fuser pressure arms.

Swapping the fuser might be worth a shot.
    Wow, your bringing back some memories, mloudy! The machine that would clam shell in two different ways! What a pile of garbage, remember the registration clutch that would break from the molding leaving a small crack and would cause jamming? I thought about the fuser, I will try swapping it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    Clam_Clam.jpg

Just for you, the double clam shell from our museum.
    Wow!! I haven't set eyes on that in years! The loading guides that would break on the paper trays and you had to cram paper under it until you could order a new one, FEED TAPE the feed tires because they were a pain in the ass to change out! I'm blown away as I sip my coffee looking at this old relic! I also noticed the screwdriver holding it up in the back.