Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sharp MX-PE10 Fiery Upgrade to Win10 issues

Hi all,

We have a client that wants to update their MX-PE10 Fiery controllers to Windows10 for security reasons.

We did get the Windows 10 upgrade kit and upgraded one of their controllers to Windows 10. It seems to have a number of issues, although one is a major sticking point.

They print from Macs and use LPR/LPD. I cannot get the Fiery to accept LPR/LPD print jobs. They never leave the client's computer.

I have hooked my laptop up to the Fiery and can print via RAW (port 9100), but cannot print when I switch the port to LPR (port 515).

I have tried completely re-installing the Win10 upgrade, but get same result.

The server shows that LPR is enabled. I have tried disabling and re-enabling LPR to no effect. I compared the settings to a working Fiery and they appear identical.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX-PE10 Fiery Upgrade to Win10 issues

There's no official Win10 update by EFI or Sharp for the PE-10 Fiery.
    It was made to run on Win7 Pro only. There was a Fiery patch for the PE-10 many years ago which was created to stop the Win10 update message & automatic download.
    If security is the main concern here, return it to the official Win7 Pro Fiery Image, Install all patches available, then setup IP Filtering so only specific users can access the device. There's a whole Security Whitepaper available for the PE-10 if you have security concerns.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi

Technical Report CCE-1478 from July,23,2015CCE1479.pdf

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestions about the Windows 7 patch. We did have those applied to avoid the free upgrade. However, Sharp did release a bulletin (#20090) in August 2020 that announced a paid Windows 10 upgrade for the MX-PE10 server (Part#: MX-PEWIN10), which includes the upgrade disks and 4GB RAM.

I do think I resolved the issue though and have gotten the print jobs to the Fiery controller via LPD. I was able to use the USB system image provided in the kit to re-install the Fiery system. The provided backup image worked better than using the provided DVDs. I don't believe the DVDs create a new, clean image on the HDD and there may have been residual settings from the previous install.

Anyways, the problem appears to occur when I bridge the two ethernet connections. This is how the Win7 Fierys were set up at this location, so I had tried to mimic that. If I leave the connections unbridged, the Fiery will accept LPR/LPD.

I'll be taking the Fiery unit back to the customer on Monday and hooking things up and give an update.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I did install the upgraded Windows 10 Fiery at the customer and it is working fine. I left the Fiery's two NICs "unbridged" and simply created a stub network between the copier and the Fiery.

They can print fine to the Fiery, which passes the print jobs on to the copier like normal. With this stub network, the copier does not have access to the internet or any network scanning. However, they use the copier solely for printing, so this is no issue. Also, if they wanted to access the copier's webpage from a client computer, they would have to Remote Desktop into the Fiery to access the webpage (or go to the copier and do it from there).

I'm sure the two NICs can be bridged, if we played around with it, but the customer is happy. (Alternatively, instead of a direct connection between the Fiery and the copier, we could use a small switch to provide network access to the copier.)