just another tech 100+ Posts

Sharp MX503N E7-42 Data Error (Acre Asic)

My customer says this popped on her MX-503N display today and unplugging and a reboot will not clear. The model has about 600K on it and has 1 more year under contract. It's been working great for years.

E7-42 in the manual says
    Cause Image transfer trouble.Check & Remedy Check the connection state of the ACRE ASIC PWB
    connector.
    Replace the ACRE ASIC PWB.

The manual does not show an ACRE ASIC board and gives very little other info. All I can figure is that this board is the "Scanner function expansion PWB" (Option for N model) It controls compression and decompression of image data. Number 28 in the service manual.

Is this the correct board I should be replacing? I plan on taking an MFP PWB and scanner board with me also. It's frustrating that the error and manual say it's a certain board then call it something else in the list of PWBs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Re: Sharp MX503N E7-42 Data Error (Acre Asic)

Yes, you're correct.
    The ACRE board is the advanced compression board. It usually sits on the Scanner Controller Board, but on the MXM503N it sits on the MFP board. It has small metal risers and a connector straight onto the board.
    My experience with ACRE board problems on a variety of models has either been a memory module failure (usually detectable by scanning large documents, double sided or high resolution with a totally corrupt output) or corrupt firmware on the boards controller.
    Reflash the firmware before you do anything, then check/reseat/replace the ACRE board.
    The ACRE board clearly has ACRE written on it in white text from every one I've ever seen.