Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Has anyone seen something like this ? ( I.Q. )

Was here twice. Both times they said 'our scans look like a waterfall '. By the time I got there, the problem wouldn't repeat itself both times. They definitely had the scans on more than one computer. It seems like it did it a few consecutive times about an hour or two before I got there, but not when I arrived. I cleaned & reseated the connections between the ccd & scanner boards. I flashed up the latest firmware. All the copies I made, & all the scans I sent to myself and the different terminals all came out correct. They called a month & a half later with the same thing. When I got there it was the same situation. I tried a scan board from another machine to see what would happen, but apparently it wasn't compatible & froze up the machine. I considered changing the ccd board assy. but that looks like an involved operation that would take too long to pop it in & out just to test. The closest I could find to a scanner calibration was sim 48-1 to make sure everything was at default. On the following attachments, the arrow indicates the direction the originals were fed in the doc feeder. I tested both adf & flat glass. As I said, it never did that for me. They've had this machine for a few years without this problem. It should happen all of a sudden temporarily, go away for over a month, come back again briefly, then go away again before I get there ? It seems to me if it were a board, it would be a permanent defect until it was changed. If it was software, what is there besides firmware ? After observing it, I can't detect a mechanical fault. Strange days indeed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Has anyone seen something like this ? ( I.Q. )

OK, if I may begin at the beginning ...what model are you working on ?
    Most Sharp scanner boards have an eeprom chip that needs to be swapped from the old board to the new.
    I think its SIM 63, you can test the ADF and platen CCDs. If the gain value is double digits, the CCD is failing.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sorry I forgot with other stuff going through my mind. Mx-2615. I could only edit the tags. I already swapped the eeprom. When I got there I noticed one said aries & the other gemini. I thought I'd try it for the heck of it. Ended up putting original back in. If it is a board, how would it malfunction only for a brief time, only twice ?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've got a Toshiba eS3005AC doing something similar intermittently. They call it "Blurry scans".

On my machine, it was only affecting scanning through the DF, only 300/400/500dpi, only color scans, only photo and text/photo original types ... on & on like this. Any function that requires more memory or larger file size seems to trigger it. I have been treating the situation like a new CCD installation (without changing the CCD). On the Toshiba there is a data backup from System board to SYS LGC board (probably some sort of base color tables), and a white plate shading adjustment. Each time the scanning quality is restored.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but there it is. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    Sorry I forgot with other stuff going through my mind. Mx-2615. I could only edit the tags. I already swapped the eeprom. When I got there I noticed one said aries & the other gemini. I thought I'd try it for the heck of it. Ended up putting original back in. If it is a board, how would it malfunction only for a brief time, only twice ?
    Eeproms on a scanner board are very small and have 8 tiny metal legs. If they say Aries & Gemini (2 families, will not work btw) those are most likely the memory chips and not the eeprom.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I had that issue on a different machine I had to clean the LSU. Not sure if it will fix what you have going here but it doesnt hurt to look.