Senior Tech 100+ Posts

mx-4141 jams under 2nd transfer unit

This isn't urgent since it's been fixed now. Some insight would be appreciated of what you think might be going on. The original person working on this replaced the fuser for h5-01 and couldn't clear the code. I was called there and after messing with it for awhile found the page was always curling up below the 2nd transfer. All the sensors were responding in the sim test. It seemed to me the 1st transfer wasn't quite right. It had colors on it but they looked like it was stopping. When it was taken out, the gear wasn't cracked and it was turning freely by hand. After awhile I realized they ordered the wrong fuser which was causing the weird codes popping up. I got the correct fuser in there and put in a 1st transfer from a different machine. Then it started working right away.
    My question is what am I missing when looking right at it ? It seems like it should be functioning when it's out, but not in the machine. If the machine had a drive problem, how would a different tbu work ? As I said, it's not urgent, but it would be nice to know if it happens again.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: mx-4141 jams under 2nd transfer unit

These belt are notorious for the drive gear breaking. It may not look like it when turning by hand, but if you remove the gear, the inner plastic is most likely broken. Also check for a flipped cleaner blade.
    I doubt it was a fuser issue as if it was the wrong fuser, you would get an immediate H2 code. H5-01 simply means it didn't clear the fuser, 5 times in a row.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think the notorious gear was on it's predecessor the mx2600 family. Although it may have some similar design to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    I think the notorious gear was on it's predecessor the mx2600 family. Although it may have some similar design to it.
    Its possible, I generally don't work on Sharps too often nowadays. I remember this was an issue on the little 401/402 boxes as well as the 2600-5001 series. Those would roll by hand no problem, everything looked fine. Wasn't until you took it apart that you found the shattered plastic collar.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Its possible, I generally don't work on Sharps too often nowadays. I remember this was an issue on the little 401/402 boxes as well as the 2600-5001 series. Those would roll by hand no problem, everything looked fine. Wasn't until you took it apart that you found the shattered plastic collar.

Yep these inner teeth would get shredded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Got a chance to look closer at this one. The drive gear was undamaged, and the blade was not flipped. After looking at the tbu, I found one end of those skinny rods under the belt out of it's socket. Set it back in, then it would pass paper. Now the next mystery is how did it come out in the first place ? Another puzzle is when we got this machine in the shop and working again, it printed the jobs that were stuck in there. I thought those got wiped out when the power was removed.

Those "skinny rods" you are referring to are known as FTR or first transfer rolls. These belts have one for each color. Lol, and they love to fall out too, sometimes brand new in the box!
    Now here is the old vs. new issue with these. The older model kits (5001) came with the FTRs and the lock collars. The new kits do not come with these. As long as you have the collars and the belt isn't damaged, you can remove the belt, reseat the 4 FTR rolls, then re-assemble belt.