Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-4070 cq probs with pre punch paper

Hello, customer had a 2610 and it worked fine on pre punch paper. Machine has close to two million copies on pre punch. Cust has many cases of it. We upgraded customer to a MX4070 and it has problems with pre punch paper. It puts a blur band about 1/8 inch thick across the page 3/4 down towards the trail edge. I am not at the customer now. I found at the shop that there is a pre punch paper, paper setting in the tray and paper settings. Does anyone know what the pre punch paper setting does? Since the blur is near the trailing edge is not what I would expect. If I put a piece of tape on the middle hole it goes through fine. It does not appear that the sensor actuators are catching the holes. It looks like the pegistration optical sensor is seeing through the hole and maybe shutting off the registration motor a fraction early. Mainly seeing if anyone knows what the pre punch paper setting actually does? Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Re: MX-4070 cq probs with pre punch paper

Make sure the firmware is current. There is a firmware update Bulletin and this is listed: "Correction of the problem that the rear end of Pre-Punched paper may bemis-detected"

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I believe that setting tells the machine there is no media were the holes are and it will not apply toner to those spots to prevent smudging. I use the pre-printed settings but I always explain paper type as it pertains to printing. You will get "job security" calls....lol

I found this blurb in the UG:
    prepunched.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mloudy View Post
    Make sure the firmware is current. There is a firmware update Bulletin and this is listed: "Correction of the problem that the rear end of Pre-Punched paper may bemis-detected"
    Thanks. It does have the latest firmware,I was there yesterday because the MSATA crapped out. Had to use one from different machine. Did factory reset. Reset everything to customers requirments and did the firmware. I put the latest firmware in. Do you think the latest firmware will cover all previous firmware updates? Or do you think I need to find that particular firmware and install that? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    I believe that setting tells the machine there is no media were the holes are and it will not apply toner to those spots to prevent smudging. I use the pre-printed settings but I always explain paper type as it pertains to printing. You will get "job security" calls....lol

I found this blurb in the UG:
    prepunched.jpg

Thanks. It sucks when the new machine wont do what the old one could do.

Pretty sure the newest firmware applies all the fixes from previous firmware updates. I will look and see what level that bulletin is refering to. Sometimes there is Special firmware to address specific issues but I think they mostly deal with security.

The firmware level that addressed trial edge/pre-punched paper was 0511Z100_ 16111601

The newest firmware 0790Z100_20040600 should include that fix too.

Machine is fixed. I did not realize there is a punch setting in the drawer and paper settings. Set it to drawer 1 and that took care of it. The old machine didnt have any special settings for it to work.