Question Got a Sharp MX-4141N at auction, need a little help with putting it back into service

Hi,

So I'm an IT Eng guy by trade, and while I can configure one of these things to talk to Windows all day, I have no idea how to actually work on them. Hoping I can find some help.

I picked up a Sharp MX-4141n (https://i.imgur.com/0kH5Xtk.jpg) at a county auction for $20. It was a bit beat up and dirty, but a clean up with some towels and clorox it looks good as new. It came with some spare magenta and yellow toner, but I've ordered some black and cyan. Yes, this is in a home office, yes, I do think it's overkill, no, I don't plan to get rid of it.

I have 3 issues I'm trying to resolve.

1. Printing anything results in this ghosting on the second half (hot dog fold?) side of the paper.

2. Software issues:
      • I get a U2-60 error code on boot, which I've read as being related to a watermark not being installed on the printer. I don't really have a need for this, but I'd like to not see the code. I've tried using SIM 16 to clear it, but it still appears.
      • Trying to download the manual from the machine's web interface results in: "ERROR[3000]: Processing failed. (2F55EE6F:1548:-1)". My assumption is that when the county retired this machine, they wiped the drive for security. I'm not sure who I can contact to ask for these files, as they do not seem to be public anywhere, and I don't have access to Sharp's internal sites.
      • Firmware: The copyright in the WebUI shows a date of 2012, so if possible I'd like to update the firmware to ensure system security. Most of my home network is setup to mirror an enterprise (because homelab), so having a device without the latest firmware is a bit of an itch for me.

3. Reset/Perform Maintenance:
      • The WebUI indicates: Overdue service maintenance. I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but I have used the built in tools to clean the blades. I'm sure it's just semantics, but I'd like to know how to service the machine so it doesn't say that.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! I know this is probably a weird thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Got a Sharp MX-4141N at auction, need a little help with putting it back into ser

1. The problem is the drum blades. You need to remove the drums and clean the blades or replace them.

2.You cannot get rid of the error code without reinstalling the watermark firmware. You will need to reinstall the user manual firmware too. All can be done on a thumbdrive and sim 49

3. It should tell you on the control panel what service is needed. You can also print out the report on sim22-6. Page 1 will tell you all the maintenance counters. Everything at 100% needs maintenance. Sim 24-4 will reset the counters.

Re: Got a Sharp MX-4141N at auction, need a little help with putting it back into ser

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Avocado View Post
    1. The problem is the drum blades. You need to remove the drums and clean the blades or replace them.

2.You cannot get rid of the error code without reinstalling the watermark firmware. You will need to reinstall the user manual firmware too. All can be done on a thumbdrive and sim 49

3. It should tell you on the control panel what service is needed. You can also print out the report on sim22-6. Page 1 will tell you all the maintenance counters. Everything at 100% needs maintenance. Sim 24-4 will reset the counters.

Thank you for the direction!

Would you happen to know where I could get the watermark and manual files? Can I pay Sharp for temporary access?

This has the watermark firmware and the e-manual along with the most recent device firmware. I'll leave this active for a few days. Good luck! Virgo_2_E-Manual (2).zip - Google Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Avocado View Post
    This has the watermark firmware and the e-manual along with the most recent device firmware. I'll leave this active for a few days. Good luck! Virgo_2_E-Manual (2).zip - Google Drive
    Just an update for you! I've got all of the firmware updates and my software problems are gone!

I read about how to remove the blade and drum assemblies, but I'm still reading on how (and what exactly) to clean them. Thank you again for your help!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Got a Sharp MX-4141N at auction, need a little help with putting it back into service

Quote Originally Posted by ipat8 View Post
    Just an update for you! I've got all of the firmware updates and my software problems are gone!

I read about how to remove the blade and drum assemblies, but I'm still reading on how (and what exactly) to clean them. Thank you again for your help!
    Cleaning the drum blade will not help, it is a temporary fix, order new mk kits for the offending drum units.

PrecisionRoller.com: Online Shopping for Toner Cartridges & more

Glad to hear it! No chemicals are needed, just clean them with a lint-free cloth or towel. As copiertec said, this will get you by for a while, but eventually you will need to replace them using the MX-510MK charge kit which comes with one drum blade and a main charge unit.