Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Sharp MX 3071  Error  L4-18

Sharp MX 3071 Error L4-18

Good afternoon everyone
    I am getting Error L4-18 on a MX 3071,
    I did not notice anything wrong with the drum units and all the connectors seem to be ok.
    After I reset the error the machine starts to briefly warm up and goes right back into the
    L4-18 error, The customer said it happened right after changing magenta toner.
    It is the only MX 3071 I have ever worked on.
    Thank you for all your past and future help. Obviously at this point IM dying a copier tech(approaching 45 years of copier stress)
    Thank you all again'
    Andy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Sharp MX 3071  Error  L4-18

Re: Sharp MX 3071 Error L4-18

That color drum motor runs a lot of stuff, and it sounds like something is binding up. Have you run the motor in SIM mode? Try running the motor without the Transfer Belt, color drums, and color developers installed. Install them one at a time and run it again until you find the culprit. In the older machines, I saw the developer units get really hard to turn and cause this problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Check to see if you've lost one colour.

If so check the auger in that drum unit.

I appreciate you've already looked at the units but no harm in a second look.

I've had quite a few higher speed units with auger failure and a couple of colour ones as well.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We had a few l4-18 on those, due to client being sent the wrong waste box. they received MX607HB instead of MX601HB. A few augers (drum unit) were replaced...

L4-18 is the cyan drum not rotating. pull the drum unit check for flipped blade or binding.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

Having the same problem on the same model. Drum rotates fine, infact all drums and devs are fine. Changed the Cyan drum to be sure. Now getting strange lines through colors. The machines in a confined location and was wondering if it was a motor before trying to remove covers in such a restricted space.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

I took a color drum motor out of a CR4.5 we had in the showroom. Rotated the machine on it's spot and fit the new motor, it did the job. At the initial visit with L4-18, I was able to prevent the error occurring by running sim25-1 a few times, although Cyan was reading lower than the others. After a reboot and no error, I did the usual 22-6, 64-1 and a 64-5 with the first item set to 4 (It's a favorite of mine for final color testing). The mono 22-6 was fine, the color samples had fine lines running front to rear, which I knew would be a problem. So from what I've read here previously, those color drum motors definitely are doing too much work for their size. BTW, this machine had done less than 6k.

Anyone know if the new CR5's have a motor for each color across all models?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

From what I see in the CR5 Parts Guide there are still only two motors on the main drive unit.