just another tech 100+ Posts

Question MX-5050 Print jobs rendering

We installed an MX5050 at a customers office and set it up to scan to email and print by PCL6 on their 2 PCs. We tested the prints and each computer worked as normal.

The next day, they said it was delaying prints. Some prints would print in 10 minutes and others would take hours. They said the machine receives the print and they can hear the fans wind up but they check the job status and the job is stuck in the spool rendering. And these are one page word documents or PDFs nothing big. I rebooted the machine and upgraded the firmware. (Which surprisingly only took about 20 seconds) Each computer tested perfect after printing a PDF, a word document, and a page off the internet.

Today, they said it was doing the same thing. I told them to reboot the machine as that seems to help it reset for printing. Scanning always works without a problem.

I've seen similar things happen when printing pages off the internet, and the copier does not know how to process them but that is not the case here. This machine is a refurb with 50k black and 200 k color.

After reading up I see there's a print memory clear that may help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss at this point.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX-5050 Print jobs rendering

Re: MX-5050 Print jobs rendering

Mx-3610n stuck rendering (copytechnet.com)

Try changing the tcp/ip port to lpr and portname lp
    In the print driver, under the Advanced Tab, select “raster” from the drop-down list. This allows the printer to print the file without decrypting the vector graphics.
    In some cases, the following settings have resolved this condition. Disable mDNS under Network Settings > Services Settings. Disable Tandem Receive and WSD under Security Settings > Port Control.

mx-7040 rendering (copytechnet.com)

Quote Originally Posted by mansart View Post
    Mx-3610n stuck rendering (copytechnet.com)

Try changing the tcp/ip port to lpr and portname lp
    In the print driver, under the Advanced Tab, select “raster” from the drop-down list. This allows the printer to print the file without decrypting the vector graphics.
    In some cases, the following settings have resolved this condition. Disable mDNS under Network Settings > Services Settings. Disable Tandem Receive and WSD under Security Settings > Port Control.

mx-7040 rendering (copytechnet.com)

Thank you. I'll try these along with a continuous ping also to make sure there's no duplicate IP.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Change the TCP/IP port from RAW to LPR port type. Name the queue whatever (I usually use LP) and check the box for "enable byte counting".
    With various Windows issues as of late, I have also found disabling "advanced printing features" can elevate many slow printing issues with Windows.
    lpr port.jpg advanced.jpg

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

When they called yestereday morning, I had them reboot the copier and they had no more issues. I arrived in the afternoon and tried to replicate the issue. I found that it only did this when the machine went into auto power shutoff mode. When it was just in energy save, it printed fine. The autoshut off was set to 2 hours so they only had the issue after the machine sat overnight and went into this mode. Then of course, in the morning the issue was back until the machine was rebooted.

I tried several settings in the machine and driver with the power shutoff set at 1 min so I could see what setting fixes the issue. Here's what I tried.

Ran continuous ping then unplugged cable to eliminate duplicate IP address
    Disabled mDNS (was enabled)
    WSD was already disabled
    Tandem was already disabled
    Changed TCPIP port to LPR with lp name
    LPR byte counting enabled
    Cleared 62-10
    Could not find RASTER in driver under ADVANCED tab as per bulletin (PCL6)
    Changed energy save from Normal to Fast wakeup. (I was reaching at this point)

After each of these changes, I let the machine go to auto shutoff mode after 1 minute, and still no successful prints. The print would go to the copier, turn on the fans and sit in the spool rendering until I rebooted. Then after the reboot it would print the job.

So my temporary fix was to disable the Auto shutoff mode completely and just use the energy save. It prints successfully everytime, but I don't want the fuser heating up 24/7 overnight and weekends.

I always use PCL6 for windows PCs unless the IT person wants PS. I only use PS for Macs generally. Should I try PostScript instead? I don't think this machine has the PS kit installed, however.

I updated the FW at install and it showed several things would be updated, but it only took about 20 seconds after I hit execute. I've never seen FW be that quick. I believe I chose update ALL like I always do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Dump the printer memory, 67-17. Make sure to back up the machine as this will wipe a few network items (SMTP the first one that comes to mind)
    As to firmware, if the machine senses the same firmware, it does not re-write it. An emergency firmware update will force a re-write of all firmware.
    Sharps have a long history of not recovering from sleep mode; apparently some things never change.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathansipe View Post
    When they called yestereday morning, I had them reboot the copier and they had no more issues. I arrived in the afternoon and tried to replicate the issue. I found that it only did this when the machine went into auto power shutoff mode. When it was just in energy save, it printed fine. The autoshut off was set to 2 hours so they only had the issue after the machine sat overnight and went into this mode. Then of course, in the morning the issue was back until the machine was rebooted.

I tried several settings in the machine and driver with the power shutoff set at 1 min so I could see what setting fixes the issue. Here's what I tried.

Ran continuous ping then unplugged cable to eliminate duplicate IP address
    Disabled mDNS (was enabled)
    WSD was already disabled
    Tandem was already disabled
    Changed TCPIP port to LPR with lp name
    LPR byte counting enabled
    Cleared 62-10
    Could not find RASTER in driver under ADVANCED tab as per bulletin (PCL6)
    Changed energy save from Normal to Fast wakeup. (I was reaching at this point)

After each of these changes, I let the machine go to auto shutoff mode after 1 minute, and still no successful prints. The print would go to the copier, turn on the fans and sit in the spool rendering until I rebooted. Then after the reboot it would print the job.

So my temporary fix was to disable the Auto shutoff mode completely and just use the energy save. It prints successfully everytime, but I don't want the fuser heating up 24/7 overnight and weekends.

I always use PCL6 for windows PCs unless the IT person wants PS. I only use PS for Macs generally. Should I try PostScript instead? I don't think this machine has the PS kit installed, however.

I updated the FW at install and it showed several things would be updated, but it only took about 20 seconds after I hit execute. I've never seen FW be that quick. I believe I chose update ALL like I always do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Looks like you do helluva job here. This is from not Sharp tech but I would try everything mojo said.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by nathansipe View Post
    We installed an MX5050 at a customers office and set it up to scan to email and print by PCL6 on their 2 PCs. We tested the prints and each computer worked as normal.

The next day, they said it was delaying prints. Some prints would print in 10 minutes and others would take hours. They said the machine receives the print and they can hear the fans wind up but they check the job status and the job is stuck in the spool rendering. And these are one page word documents or PDFs nothing big. I rebooted the machine and upgraded the firmware. (Which surprisingly only took about 20 seconds) Each computer tested perfect after printing a PDF, a word document, and a page off the internet.

Today, they said it was doing the same thing. I told them to reboot the machine as that seems to help it reset for printing. Scanning always works without a problem.

I've seen similar things happen when printing pages off the internet, and the copier does not know how to process them but that is not the case here. This machine is a refurb with 50k black and 200 k color.

After reading up I see there's a print memory clear that may help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

Is the ping time consistent or are there are swinging variables or random drop offs? Are you pinging from each PC? It is very possible that if one pc is connecting via wifi and having latency or drop offs the print job is getting corrupted on the way to the machine causing the print queue to freeze in rendering and not allowing anyone else to print. Powering the machine on and off again would re-establish a connection and clear the print queue on the printer for it to try again. What I do in this case is use third party software on the offending laptop/desktop and my surface (a wifi spectrum analyzer, there are some free ones on the microsoft store) and determine if there is channel interference. Then I would talk to the IT or access the router myself and manually change the broadcasting channel on the wifi to one that has less interference. This fixes the problem 80% of the time.