Sharp MX-2614 Tray 2 Issue

Hey everyone.

First off, forgive my naivety with printers!

I just acquired a Sharp MX-2614. Unfortunately, the bottom section (the trays and wheels) got dropped at some point. The printer works great, but it’s not recognizing Tray 2 (A3). It’s just not showing up in the options.

I’ve compared the two drawers (A4 & A3), and the inside of the machine, and nothing seems obviously amiss.

One thing of note, I noticed the two parts of the machine are linked by any cables. It just sits on the the four corner stubs. Is this normal?

Can anyone advise what to look for or double check?

thank you in advance!

Re: Sharp MX-2614 Tray 2 Issue

If your able to select second cassette in copy mode everything is ok, on print driver, first tab from right , autoconfiguration and it should shows you all options you have , select that one with pointed and it ok.
    If your unable to select second cassette on copy mode, check connector on the back.

Sorry for my English but is not my native language

Londo

Thank you for your reply, Londo.

I do not see the second cassette/tray available. The printer only has “Tray 1” and “Bypass Tray” available.

Are you able to show me what connector I should be looking at?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

If you can't see the lower trays, check the desk > engine interface harness.
    Take the small cover off the back of the engine, check the 2 harnesses are correctly installed and the small horizontal piece is removed from the cover.
    Power up and test. That's the first thing to check anyway. Please update us with photos of the damage caused by the unit being dropped.

desk.JPG

Prints Charming, that was it!

The harness must have popped out (perfectly without bending the pins, thankfully) when the unit was dropped. I’m told it was picked up without knowledge it is a two piece machine. The harness tucked itself away into a place that did not make it obvious a harness was even there.

Your post solved the issue immediately. Thank you very much for your help.

Out of interest, if I ever needed a spare part, where best to source from in the UK? Additionally, are there any toner suppliers you recommend?

Additionally, thank you Londo. You were also right — I just didn’t know what connector I was looking for until Prints specified.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Very good. Well done.
    Please just check the 4 corner screws & locking plates are correctly installed. The engine & desk unit should not come apart when lifted. There's no way the desk harness can be pulled off the connector if the locking plates are installed.

desk1.JPG

desk3.JPG

Parts and toners.....always use genuine OEM if possible. Contact a nearby service agent to point you in the right direction.

Thanks again, Prints.

Turns out all four of those brackets are missing! My guess is when the previous owner moved it they did so it two pieces and didn’t bother to fasten it all back together. Shame. Any thoughts where to source them? I’ll see about a service agent locally in the meantime.

Thanks again for all your help.