Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-5070N very intermittent 3/4 voids

Re: MX-5070N very intermittent 3/4 voids

Do you mean the discharge led?

Quote Originally Posted by OlliK1969 View Post
    Hi

Have you changed the drum unit yet? It looks to me as if the delete bar comes on in between. Had something similar years ago on an MX-M1100
    Are you the police? "No ma'am, were musicians"

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Discharge Lamp is after Cleaning Blade, so it can't affect this symptom in theory of operation.
    I still believe this is a transfer issue, as I've seen this before. The Secondary Transfer Unit and clutch have been replaced, but I'd now look at Primary Transfer Clutch on the Main Drive Unit. If that's slipping, the transfer rollers within the Primary Belt Unit will pull away from the drum, causing a sudden loss of image on the page.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prints Charming View Post
    Discharge Lamp is after Cleaning Blade, so it can't affect this symptom in theory of operation.
    I still believe this is a transfer issue, as I've seen this before. The Secondary Transfer Unit and clutch have been replaced, but I'd now look at Primary Transfer Clutch on the Main Drive Unit. If that's slipping, the transfer rollers within the Primary Belt Unit will pull away from the drum, causing a sudden loss of image on the page.
    This is exactly where we are going to. will let you know

I had a MX3071 do the same thing a couple years ago turned out that the fuser drive, transfer drive, and delivery drive units were loose because the screw points in the frame were cracked, like the machine had been bounced too hard during shipping. It started doing this about a month after install at the customers location.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Prints, if that does happen isn't it supposed to code out? If the clutch slips and the flag comes out of the sensor I would assume you should get an error code, correct?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Prints Charming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyooo View Post
    Prints, if that does happen isn't it supposed to code out? If the clutch slips and the flag comes out of the sensor I would assume you should get an error code, correct?
    Yes, if the clutch slips too far and the sensor is not longer detecting the full flag position. It only needs to slip a very small amount for the transfer roller to pull away. I've completed transfer load tests in simulation and watched the cam on the front of the transfer belt unit confidently move into the 3 positions - Color, Black, Free, then suddenly start turning a few mm in between each position. Found a slipping clutch was causing it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yes, if the clutch slips too far and the sensor is not longer detecting the full flag position. It only needs to slip a very small amount for the transfer roller to pull away. I've completed transfer load tests in simulation and watched the cam on the front of the transfer belt unit confidently move into the 3 positions - Color, Black, Free, then suddenly start turning a few mm in between each position. Found a slipping clutch was causing it.

I understand that but the thing is it's exactly in the same spot EVERY time. if its a slipping clutch why couldn't the void area be the lead edge vs trail edge? That's what is screwing with my train of thought. Then the next copy in that run is perfectly fine and all subsequent copies or prints are fine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

UPDATE...still not repaired. Tried TC1, TC2, drive clutches for TC1 black and color, clutch for TC2, MC/HVT pwb, TC pwb. Last thing to try is the PCU and or Right door assy. We did notice that it will stall like a toner replenishment or adjustment of cq just before it does it. Its ONLY the next print or copy after that stall. All subsequent are fine

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyooo View Post
    UPDATE...still not repaired. Tried TC1, TC2, drive clutches for TC1 black and color, clutch for TC2, MC/HVT pwb, TC pwb. Last thing to try is the PCU and or Right door assy. We did notice that it will stall like a toner replenishment or adjustment of cq just before it does it. Its ONLY the next print or copy after that stall. All subsequent are fine
    Damn, interesting dilemma for sure, keep us posted.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Update #2

Tried all of the above plus MFP pwb and PCU pwb. Still NOT fixed. WTH? this is a dilly. I did however go almost a full day without a half copy or print.