Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Tonersniffer's Avatar

Need help with flat spots on MX-3071 fuser unit.

Sharp MX 3071

Customers complaining about clunking noise when turning it on or coming out of sleep. From what I'm seeing in the manual the fixing roller (with lamp and belt) would have the flat spot. I ordered the pressure roller because the machine doesn't have that many prints on it. (20K). But after seeing this 2 mm coating on pressure roller at office, I'm pretty sure the real flat spot is forming on the fixing roller.

So I'm saying to actually fix the physical problem, I really need to order the whole entire fuser unit, which will make this impractical under service contract.

So I'm thinking customer training is the only way of fixing this problem correctly. Obviously I need to tell a customer to leave the main power switch on and only turn it off at the control panel. The service manual says the only turn the power switch off after control panel says to do so or is black.

So my question is is how does the sharp operate since I cannot find it in the service manual? While it's in sleep does it rotate the rollers periodically to keep flat spots from happening? What's the best practice for low low volume machines to ensure no flat spots. So far looking in the manual I have not found any adjustments for idle or sleep for future rotation.

Let me know what you have done in the field for flat spots.

Thanks for your help in advance!

tonersniffer

Senior Tech 50+ Posts
    Need help with flat spots on MX-3071 fuser unit.

Re: Need help with flat spots on MX-3071 fuser unit.

Set the Power Save to 45 minutes auto power shutoff. Set "Sleep Mode Power Level" to "Motion Sensor Mode". (will need to reboot)
    Advise customer not to turn off main switch, let the machine control itself.

While in sleep mode, pressure is removed until needed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

It would be very unusual for the fuser to have a flat spot on this series, unless they are turning it off with the main power switch. Having said that these fusers are junk (slightly better that the 70 series but still have issues). I had to replace a fuser on a 4071 at around 5K so it's not unheard of. If you have a spare swap them out to be sure before you go to the expense of buying a new one.

Good luck

Bil

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

These fusers require maintenance or they fail. You need to run the Fuser Cleaning Page on all these units on a semi annual basis, run at least 20 pages to start

• Settings Icon (wherever you have it located)
    • Image quality adjustment
    • Login:
    • Fuser Cleaning Mode: Execute (click as many times as it will allow)
    • Once Done Inspect Last Sheet and Repeat until it prints out without marks on it - this removes quite a bit of buildup on the lower pressure roller.

I'm not saying this will help with your flat spot this time, but if you don't do this you'll never get anywhere near full life out of these fusing units.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

They changed the bearings on the pressure release gears. Changed them from a proper gear that seemed to absorb the pressure a little. But this near bearing is not actually a bearing, it's a solid roller. And it's noisy as hell when running on the gear.