Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Fuser problems Phoenix/Griffin(2)

Are there still people experiencing problems with the MX601FU MX608FU MX409FU MX408FU fusers?

We have a wall of fusers in our shop to rebuild which keeps on growing.

Mostly fusingbelts that are burnt, pressure rollers with massive buildup causing jams or paper rolled around the roller.

These almost never get to their respective lifetime expectancy, which is becoming a very costly situation.

Some here are saying they change the fuser temp to +10, others to +5, others to -5. So which one is it?

Some install the cleaning rollers (DUNT-9555DSZZ), some say they are crap and dont work at all.

Last thing i read was the German report about the latest firmware and the autmatic cleaning pages.

Seems to me these fusers are crap in general...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Fuser problems Phoenix/Griffin(2)

I've seen a lot of issues Not making it to life, having to change fusing harness because of random HX's Codes. I'm guessing sharp went cheap on them because they are crap for the most part. Changed 3 harnesses so far this year and changed 2 fusers out because we didn't want to deal with rebuilding them only for them to crap out within the week ( happened once already)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

Cool Re: Fuser problems Phoenix/Griffin(2)

Quote Originally Posted by boutn View Post
    Are there still people experiencing problems with the MX601FU MX608FU MX409FU MX408FU fusers?

We have a wall of fusers in our shop to rebuild which keeps on growing.

Mostly fusingbelts that are burnt, pressure rollers with massive buildup causing jams or paper rolled around the roller.

These almost never get to their respective lifetime expectancy, which is becoming a very costly situation.

Some here are saying they change the fuser temp to +10, others to +5, others to -5. So which one is it?

Some install the cleaning rollers (DUNT-9555DSZZ), some say they are crap and dont work at all.

Last thing i read was the German report about the latest firmware and the autmatic cleaning pages.

Seems to me these fusers are crap in general...
    I agree with all your comments above, don't add the extra cleaning roller kit, its just more junk to gum up and wear out
    the rollers, or heat belts. Remember the MX2600 fusers, they had no cleaning other than the metal rod, and if you took that
    out the fusers would run long past the pm specs. All them rods did was poke holes in the roller and make a noise, jumping on the roller.
    I am getting some fusers to make 200k or more by cleaning the fuser blade at every call, stretching the springs on the blade
    to make them alittle longer so the blade don't rub on roller so hard. And check all 4 coronas every call to see if the blade is leaking. If
    they have toner dusting on them the blade is leaking. If you get them changed soon enough it don't dirty up the fuser rollers
    so fast. Sorry for the winded reply but this about all I get done is deal with these fusers and the MSATa ,HDD, MFP issues, which cause constant
    restart attempts, sluggish response, and no startup problems. I have found these issues on machines with really old firmware, so we try
    to upgrade on every call. I'm done venting. Thanks for reading.
    Dan,,,

Senior MFP Technician 250+ Posts ihatefinishers13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAKOTADAN View Post
    I agree with all your comments above, don't add the extra cleaning roller kit, its just more junk to gum up and wear out
    the rollers, or heat belts. Remember the MX2600 fusers, they had no cleaning other than the metal rod, and if you took that
    out the fusers would run long past the pm specs. All them rods did was poke holes in the roller and make a noise, jumping on the roller.
    I am getting some fusers to make 200k or more by cleaning the fuser blade at every call, stretching the springs on the blade
    to make them alittle longer so the blade don't rub on roller so hard. And check all 4 coronas every call to see if the blade is leaking. If
    they have toner dusting on them the blade is leaking. If you get them changed soon enough it don't dirty up the fuser rollers
    so fast. Sorry for the winded reply but this about all I get done is deal with these fusers and the MSATa ,HDD, MFP issues, which cause constant
    restart attempts, sluggish response, and no startup problems. I have found these issues on machines with really old firmware, so we try
    Dan,,,
    Don't be upset at the machines, be upset at Sharp for putting out crappy fusers. Seemed like for a few years we had the worst time with them, we kept complaining and nothing was done, other than setting the energy save to a minute, instead of maxing them out like we used to be able to do. It's mitigated a lot of the issues, but still have more than we should.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

We have been following a procedure that isn't in the manual but was relayed to us from our Sharp rep. When you go to replace the fuser, power up the unit be sure to get the install fuser message then power down the machine and then install the new fuser. It supposedly resets the thermistor values. I've been doing this for a few years now and it seems to help with the longevity of the fusers. Sometimes I even get rated life out of them LOL

Good luck

Bil

Senior MFP Technician 250+ Posts ihatefinishers13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    We have been following a procedure that isn't in the manual but was relayed to us from our Sharp rep. When you go to replace the fuser, power up the unit be sure to get the install fuser message then power down the machine and then install the new fuser. It supposedly resets the thermistor values. I've been doing this for a few years now and it seems to help with the longevity of the fusers. Sometimes I even get rated life out of them LOL

Good luck

Bil
    At this point, we'll try just about anything. Also didn't help when there was a few months maybe a month ago where fuser parts were backordered.. ridiculous.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post

Good luck

Bil
    *Bangs head on table*

Why Sharp, why.

Repair God? not quite 100+ Posts fireater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAKOTADAN View Post
    Dan,,,
    also check the ends of the stripper plate.. they bend.. then it rubs the fixing belt.. they arent supposed to touch the belt at all.
    I fix copiers ...Well Sorta

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We had a lot of issues in those machines for HX-XX codes.

We always thought that were simply crap and moved on, refurbishing fusers and swapping to the customer.
    But, after a deep investigation we noticed that, a lot of times, after errors were not resettable, we found Fuser Belt completely out of position, on the left.
    And while on the left, fuser belt was activating "Meandering detect lever and sensor", causing the fuser to stop. With Error "H"

Now we are tightening a little bit fuser pression and seems to be a good way to reduce tech calls.
    Dont' want to say "eureka" but let's see what's happens.

Hope to here from your experience.

Just give it a try.
    Have a good day.
    29 rouge unpair manque.... cous cous....

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Fuser problems Phoenix/Griffin(2)

L4-03 This monday for a rebuilt phoenix fuser. MX-407FU1.
    Fuser at 12%, 6 months in field.

Yesterday, my co-worker was going CSI on it, and it turned out to be the rear fuser pressure roller bearing we replaced. Turns out these were non-oem bearings, because they were on back-order by Sharp.

We went through all the new bearings, and we found that a few bearings ARE NOT smooth to turn, like if the balls inside were intermittently "catching and locking" into place, if that makes sense.

In case someone else runs to this problem.

Good luck.