Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Help with Electrical supply - 208V vs. 220V

We had an electrician install a dedicated line for a copier, I told hime we wanted 208V +/- 5%. (The copier documentation says it wants 208V.)

We checked the line that the electrician just ran and it is 220V (110 on each leg).

Will this cause problems?

If so, what should have the electrician done correctly?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Every 208 I have worked on has 110 on each leg. When you measure across it should read 208. Technically 220 is within the +/- 10% of the 208 voltage. I am not sure why one is 220 and one is 208, but it should be related to amperage and resistance. They are all related and matter in their own way. I would check with another electrician to make sure there isn't a difference as far as amps or resistance that could be a problem for the machine. But I think you should be ok. Although it should read 110 on each leg across ground, but 208 when you read across the neg/common legs. A good surge protector should be attached to any electronic device and if it is rated for the machine at 208 it should help avoid issues. I would recommend a transformer based filter type.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thank you.

I was stuck because one person was saying one thing and another was telling me something else. You've helped clarify things, I'll have another electrician double check it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts time2fly's Avatar
    What it is saying is that it needs at least 208 volts, the copier has the means to reduce the voltage to the desired amount.