Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Laptops ????

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Laptops ????

Laptops ????

How many techs out there have a laptop computers? What do you use it for? is it yours or is it provided by your employer?

-

Service Manager 100+ Posts dbrownlee's Avatar

Re:Laptops ????

5-6 years ago I was provided a used laptop by the previous owner. At the time it was more powerful than the desktop in the office, so I used it for CBT, etc. Also carried it for a while as we had all sevice manuals on CD, and I used it to flash copiers. After a while I got tired of carrying it, so I started leaving it in the shop unless I knew I was going to need it for a manual, or to flash a machine. I don\'t need the manuals very often, and when I do, it\'s usually faster to look in the book than to use the computer. We also used it quite a bit at home, as our home PC was (is) even more ancient than the shop machine. The laptop died this past summer, and good luck getting one from the new owner, although he has started making noises about replacing my desktop, and is open to replacing it with a state-of-the-art laptop (he just bought one for his son for college and is quite enamored of it.) All in all, it really was a pretty handy tool to have, especially when you could hook it to the customer\'s device to prove a computer/network problem, not a device problem. With the laptops getting lighter, it will be much easier to carry in the field, too.
    GO TIGERS!!

I got my own, I guess the boss would buy me one if I pushed the issue. Manuals, Manuals, Manuals, Testing, and configuring.
    I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...

KonicaMinolta Tech. 250+ Posts CMB's Avatar

yes we all have our own laptops. the company bought them for us. we can use tham for whatever we want to. mostly for flashing machines, service and part manuals.

it is also used as a sales tool. it is more efficient for a tech that has his own laptop to service equipment - so they say.
    http://christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital
    630-1 Capital Circle N.E. | Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Telephone: 850.222.4418

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts hawkfan12's Avatar

10871087 wrote:
    How many techs out there have a laptop computers? What do you use it for? is it yours or is it provided by your employer?
    #1... Manuals
    #2... Test prints/scans
    #3... non-work related stuff & email

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Laptops ????

:woohoo: An essential tool, definatly must have. Had one provided for several years as I do all of the things everyone listed plus several more. been trying to get them for the rest of the service techs, but it\'s been a slow uphill battle. If it wasn\'t provided I\'ld provide my own. It\'s that essential for a tech now!!!!!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

I have my own that I provided myself. I have manuals on it, but normally I use it in shop for email, word processing, etc. Occassionally I use it in the field to prove that the customer\'s network is the problem rather than the copier.

cboucher wrote:
    Occassionally I use it in the field to prove that the customer\'s network is the problem rather than the copier.
    i\'ve done that a few times along with showing them the jam list that the copier produces to prove them wrong. man they hate to hear that when i tell them.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Cheeto

you can\'t do this job well anymore without a laptop, too much info out there that we need everyday.

depends. i haven\'t used my laptop since back before christmas. all my equipment has been upgraded and seems to be running fine. most of the problems i have are mechanical, don\'t need a laptop for that.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital