Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Moderator desperately needed!

Re: Moderator desperately needed!

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Nope, I don't. One reason is because I'm laid off due to COSHIT-19. The other reason is because I provide support in other ways, like helping people with their problems, for FREE. I can't financially support something this isn't being run by it's owner, and is left for the users to fully support both financially and informationaly. The owner can't even be bothered to come around once in a while and take out the trash.

I haven't been around here enough to say that I should qualify for such a position. There are MANY others that support this site financially, help out other members with problems, and have been around for years that have volunteered to do it, yet those offers go unnoticed.

What do Rants and Raves have to do with Sales? I'm talking about the For Sale, Trade, Wanted area, you know, the "SALES" area. One problem area in particular I can point out in there is the massive amount of SAMSUNG PHONE posts that have been going on for 3+ months, with an average of 2 posts per day.

Nobody is trying to take away anybody's "free speech". There is a difference between free speech and off-topic SPAM. If you can't tell the difference, I'm sorry.
    Don't sweat it about not contributing to this site, it's not mandatory. No explanation needed. You are a good member and just the type of techs needed on this site!

Wishing you the best getting back to work.

Take care.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    This is the last forum I know of on the net where techs can help out other techs and this site has helped me out tremendously throughout the years. If this site bites the dust, that it, nothing else exists and in my opinion is much better then the tech hotline offered by the manufactures. So what if an end user comes on here for some advice, they can only get so far before they will need a trained technician to repair the machine. I have been to machines where the end user has tried their "internet fixes," most of the time it works out to my advantage. If you are not interested in a in a deal for 10 Samsung Galaxies, do not click on it. Don't sweat the small stuff, this is the last site that I know of that true techs can come together to share ideas and fixes, etc.
    Amen to that brother!

I truly respect and appreciate femaster and other members opinion. However this forum is the LAST one left and I was in many through the last 20 years, they're all dead and buried. I can limp it when few punks or scammers post their nonsense sure it bothers me but I can handle that. What I don't want is CTN going to dust! Many techs here believe in rule 'if it works don't break it' and I'm yet about to see someone who actually wanted to be unpaid moderator.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I truly respect and appreciate femaster and other members opinion.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    However this forum is the LAST one left and I was in many through the last 20 years, they're all dead and buried. I can limp it when few punks or scammers post their nonsense sure it bothers me but I can handle that. What I don't want is CTN going to dust! Many techs here believe in rule 'if it works don't break it' and I'm yet about to see someone who actually wanted to be unpaid moderator.
    My point is:
    The only thing holding this place together is the "old crew". You aren't going to get any "new blood" in here to keep it going if the place is run like the wild west, and the garbage is never taken out.

I can honestly say that if I was a new member, and saw the forum in it's present state, I would certainly think twice about making any type of contribution, financially or otherwise. The lack of upkeep would be a big red flag to me that whomever runs this place doesn't care and can't be bothered to support it, so why should I.

Climbing off my soapbox. I've said my piece and I'll leave it at that.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

My point is:
    The only thing holding this place together is the "old crew". You aren't going to get any "new blood" in here to keep it going if the place is run like the wild west, and the garbage is never taken out.

I can honestly say that if I was a new member, and saw the forum in it's present state, I would certainly think twice about making any type of contribution, financially or otherwise. The lack of upkeep would be a big red flag to me that whomever runs this place doesn't care and can't be bothered to support it, so why should I.
    👍 I see your point.

We have here local forum very very well moderated by 3-4 guys. I have contributed in with opinions for long time. The problem is in general forums are getting obsolete. FB and other such things oust youngsters and no way they stay at some forum long enough to contribute knowledge(given they had it).

So sad to say that.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thank you.

My point is:

If that is truly your attitude, you would be one of the first one I would kick off the member list, were I ever asked to be a moderator. If it is just frustration from this stupid quarantine, it will pass. That is why I doubt if aneurysm would ever ask me to be a moderator.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thank you.

My point is:

I’m “newer blood” to this site, and you can tell what the Spam posts are, and I just ignore them. I don’t need 10 Samsung phones, so I move right on past that post.
    It’s similar to posts that involve a brand I have no clue about. I’ll just move past it, and not risk giving bad advice (general advice) about a machine I have no experience with.
    I have contributed to this site a few times so far, and will continue to when I have the means. So, “seeing the forum in its present state” hasn’t dissuaded me from contributing, in fact, I like that their isn’t “Facebook/ Twitter type moderating” on this site. It allows us to be open with our advice/ opinions.
    Once you start moderating posts/ users/ info.......you kill the will of the Technician to put in his two cents, and THEN the site will start its ultimate decline.
    Forums like this are few and far between, not just for techs like us, but across the spectrum.
    Great format in my opinion.
    Omertà

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I know I should say something here, but I can't think of anything right now.

Like tsbservice, I have become capable of ignoring quite a lot of things. Yes it would be nice if the place was cleaned up, but I can easily overlook it.

In my real life, I cannot really express my opinions quite a candidly as I do here. And I think I would not be interested in being a member of a fully "politically correct" forum, like many of the manufacturers try to present as open forums.

No continuity to my thoughts, but that's become the new normal. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

How about something as simple as logging onto a "technician help" website and select what forum you want to view. If you want to discuss other subjects, politics etc you go to to that forum. Instead of having all the "garbage" on home page. This way you don't have hijackers with the spam or political crap spewing their bullshit in plain view. If you hide this garbage new members may join. And I know of a few old timers that would come back and share their knowledge if it was cleaned up.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

The "How Crazy is Donald Trump" thread in the Rants N Raves forum has 4,588,799 views, many times more than all of the other threads on CTN combined. This automatically drives Ad $ and is largely why CTN meets its revenue goals every month.

You would be hard pressed to find that many views of any forum on any topic on the internet other than music videos on YouTube.

There is no money in listening to copier techs whine about this or that.

If you think CTN is going away anytime soon because a few techs do not understand the economics of this platform, nobody will miss you when you are gone.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B.
    don't like what's on TV switch the channel
    Great advice Phil.
    Oh, and thanks for the demerit to my reputation points. It helps to clearly show where I stand, and just how valued my help, advice, and opinions are in this community.

At this point, I'd ask the moderator / admin to just delete or close this thread as it seems most don't agree with me or even mind the way things are, but... wait... never mind.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...