Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Thumbs down Moderator desperately needed!

This place DESPERATELY needs a moderator (or two)! The SPAM and garbage, especially in the sales area, is getting ridiculous. It's blatantly obvious that the single individual in charge doesn't have the time to moderate this place properly. There are SPAM posts, that I know I have personally reported, from months ago that are still there. Does that mean that it's been months since the form admin has graced us with his/her presence?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative that this place is here, but seriously, I think the forum needs help more than some of us do!
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Moderator desperately needed!

Re: Moderator desperately needed!

Do you financially contribute to the maintenance of CTN?

Would you want to be a moderator of CTN? It would be almost a full time job for no pay.

When you say sales area are you referring to the Rants N Raves Section? If so, no one is forcing you to read them.

What makes your definition of garbage posts more valid than someone's else? Are you trying to take away someone's right to free speech?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Forget about moderators. You are right there is only one and he never replies to PM's. But he always hits 100%+ contribution goals every month!!! He could pay someone he knows to do it!

This forum is almost dead. Most members have been been run out by a few assholes. Most people you see come here make a $5 or $10 donation and get advice from technicians and never return. Many are end users working on their own machine! Where else can you get advice from several techs for $5?

Real shame because this could be a good forum with mods cleaning house, etc.

I still have the troublemakers blocked and haven't read any of their posts for months. Only way I could stay here, but not visiting much anymore. Same old stuff every time I log on, day in and day out.......

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I've run a lot of forums in my life and honestly I have to say one thing:
    1. Absurd that in a forum like this, there is no moderator.
    2. This may be a bad comment but I want honesty: Copytechnet reaches 100% funding every month. Where does this money go? I have managed many platforms and it doesn't take so much money to make a site work.
    In addition, there is a lot of revenue from advertising only, in addition to donations. It looks like a site run by a ghost, but which continues to receive money.
    3. Many users in this forum are historical and very active. Surely someone volunteers to keep the forum clean.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This is the last forum I know of on the net where techs can help out other techs and this site has helped me out tremendously throughout the years. If this site bites the dust, that it, nothing else exists and in my opinion is much better then the tech hotline offered by the manufactures. So what if an end user comes on here for some advice, they can only get so far before they will need a trained technician to repair the machine. I have been to machines where the end user has tried their "internet fixes," most of the time it works out to my advantage. If you are not interested in a in a deal for 10 Samsung Galaxies, do not click on it. Don't sweat the small stuff, this is the last site that I know of that true techs can come together to share ideas and fixes, etc.

Hey Bix agree with everything you posted.

Funny about the contributions 100%+ every month. A big reason the goal was being hit every month was a few other techs and myself were telling new members that were asking for manuals, firmware, etc to make a donation and we would send it. NO more. I'm not doing it anymore until I get a reply from PM's I sent anurysem (owner / mod). Perhaps if the $$$ dries up he will stop by his website and see what's going on.

If he continues to ignore this website it will collapse eventually. Like I said this website it's all but dead and on life support!

Maybe it could switch to a political forum and the 4-5 assholes that contribute nothing on this forum but political rhetoric could run it.....
    Last edited by copyman; 06-05-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    This is the last forum I know of on the net where techs can help out other techs and this site has helped me out tremendously throughout the years. If this site bites the dust, that it, nothing else exists and in my opinion is much better then the tech hotline offered by the manufactures. So what if an end user comes on here for some advice, they can only get so far before they will need a trained technician to repair the machine. I have been to machines where the end user has tried their "internet fixes," most of the time it works out to my advantage. If you are not interested in a in a deal for 10 Samsung Galaxies, do not click on it. Don't sweat the small stuff, this is the last site that I know of that true techs can come together to share ideas and fixes, etc.
    I'm not talking about helping out an end user to a certain point but there are members here giving out service manuals, codes to get into service modes, etc. This is where I draw the line!

Most members I talk to left because of these few assholes.

Like bix and I agree this site needs to be moderated and ALL politics removed!

You will know who the troublemakers are because they will reply to this post (one dickhead already has) and the 3-4 of them are happy with the way it is. They know they are helping this site collapse and happy about it. Although they are slipping a little, nothing on the first page about Trump. Ha-ha they can't even do that right. What a miserable life they must have!
    Last edited by copyman; 06-05-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Do you financially contribute to the maintenance of CTN?
    Nope, I don't. One reason is because I'm laid off due to COSHIT-19. The other reason is because I provide support in other ways, like helping people with their problems, for FREE. I can't financially support something this isn't being run by it's owner, and is left for the users to fully support both financially and informationaly. The owner can't even be bothered to come around once in a while and take out the trash.

Would you want to be a moderator of CTN? It would be almost a full time job for no pay.
    I haven't been around here enough to say that I should qualify for such a position. There are MANY others that support this site financially, help out other members with problems, and have been around for years that have volunteered to do it, yet those offers go unnoticed.

When you say sales area are you referring to the Rants N Raves Section? If so, no one is forcing you to read them.
    What do Rants and Raves have to do with Sales? I'm talking about the For Sale, Trade, Wanted area, you know, the "SALES" area. One problem area in particular I can point out in there is the massive amount of SAMSUNG PHONE posts that have been going on for 3+ months, with an average of 2 posts per day.

What makes your definition of garbage posts more valid than someone's else? Are you trying to take away someone's right to free speech?
    Nobody is trying to take away anybody's "free speech". There is a difference between free speech and off-topic SPAM. If you can't tell the difference, I'm sorry.
    Last edited by femaster; 06-05-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

As far as the "SPAM" posts, it they are in the For Sale, Trade, or Wanted forum ignore them. Just like those who complained about political posts in Rants, Raves, and Everything Else it is what the forum is for. Since the currently and in the past the "SPAMMER" is in Canada, I wouldn't put it past one of our liberal Canadian posters being involved.

Yes we have only one administrator, we used to have two. To my knowledge we currently do not have any moderators. The administrator used to be on here almost daily. He was always one of the first ones to greet Newbie posters. The last few years personal business and family matters have started taking up more of his time leaving less time to spend here.

From what I understand he is currently vetting possible choices for moderators. My guess would be he is looking for individuals who are on CTN regularly, posts to multiple technical forums ( reduces the number of moderators needed to cover all forums ) and is politically neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    This is the last forum I know of on the net where techs can help out other techs and this site has helped me out tremendously throughout the years. If this site bites the dust, that it, nothing else exists and in my opinion is much better then the tech hotline offered by the manufactures. ... If you are not interested in a in a deal for 10 Samsung Galaxies, do not click on it. Don't sweat the small stuff, this is the last site that I know of that true techs can come together to share ideas and fixes, etc.
    That is my point. As others have said, the site IS DYING, it doesn't have to, but it is. Why is it dying? I can guarantee that it's partly do to the LACK OF CARE AND PROPER MAINTENANCE. What happens to a copier if it's just left to run into the ground, without maintenance? It will die. This forum is no different. Without some form of maintenance and upkeep, it to will cease to function properly and die.