Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: Moderator desperately needed!

All I can say is that aside from the fact that this forum is possibly the last of its kind on the subject matter, other forums I frequent are well moderated and the overall environment just feels healthier. The lack of moderation here limits my participation and I'd go as far to say it can even be a little toxic here at times.

Moderators are not generally censors, they are more like peace officers enforcing the forums rules. The rules should be drawn up to give moderators the power to stamp out misuse of a forum and keep the environment from becoming toxic. Where users are using the platform within reasonable limits, the moderators are virtually invisible. Where users are abusing either other users or the platform at large, the moderation teams take action. That action can be as gentle as reminding a user of the rules, or as drastic as deleting posts, locking threads and banning users. Seen the gamut, but in most cases the gentle hand gets the job done.

I have also seen poorly moderated forums. In those situations, the moderators don't act neutrally and often do effectively censor. Those types I simply don't join.

All that said, I still think CTN would benefit from having moderators. We would need several to cover the wide range of subjects here. For example, I would feel comfortable in the Ricoh sub-forums and other general discussion areas but not in another manufacturer sub-forum due to my lack of expertise with other brands. The trouble is Aneurysm finding the kind souls willing to do the job that can be impartial and reasonable when doing the required tasks.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    ...I still think CTN would benefit from having moderators. We would need several to cover the wide range of subjects here. For example, I would feel comfortable in the Ricoh sub-forums and other general discussion areas but not in another manufacturer sub-forum due to my lack of expertise with other brands. The trouble is Aneurysm finding the kind souls willing to do the job that can be impartial and reasonable when doing the required tasks.
    I agree. It would be nice to have a few different moderators. One for each copier line, unless an individual has knowledge in multiple lines, then they could cover whichever they are familiar with.

It's not like it would take a whole lot work or time (once things are cleaned up from the lack of maintenance) to moderate this place as it's not THAT busy. It will need to be someone that can be around on a regular basis with at least a minimum ability to actually do some cleaning. Forum software is written with the ability to have different "security" or power levels for it's members, so it's not like it should be that difficult to implement it.
    Last edited by femaster; 06-08-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    I agree. It would be nice to have a few different moderators. One for each copier line, unless an individual has knowledge in multiple lines, then they could cover whichever they are familiar with. It's not like it would take a whole lot work or time (once things are cleaned up from the lack of maintenance) to moderate this place as it's not THAT busy. It will need to be someone that can be around on a regular basis with at least a minimum ability to actually do some cleaning. Forum software is written with the ability to have different "security" or power levels for it's members, so it's not like it should be that difficult to implement it.
    Wow mods for each manufacturers would be fantastic! I think no way dude.
    One or two for all copier models and definitely ONE dedicated for rants forums would be perfect.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

The well run forums I frequent have anywhere from six to ten active moderators and active administrator(s). I'd say there should be at least one moderator (or auxiliary administrator) with elevated privileges to act when the site owner can't, should the need arise, though moderators can do most of the required housekeeping.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Moderator desperately needed!

The well run forums I frequent have anywhere from six to ten active moderators and active administrator(s). I'd say there should be at least one moderator (or auxiliary administrator) with elevated privileges to act when the site owner can't, should the need arise, though moderators can do most of the required housekeeping.
    How many of those are copier technical forums or have most of those except CTN dried up and blown away? The most admins I can remember here is 2. The other had a login that was an eight digit number, actually 4 digits repeated. It was the same as the service access for an older analog copier line, I am thinking Minolta as we used to sell Minolta under the Olympia name before becoming a Gestetner Dealer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Wow mods for each manufacturers would be fantastic! I think no way dude.
    One or two for all copier models and definitely ONE dedicated for rants forums would be perfect.
    I didn't come up with that idea, I only agreed with zed255 on that. I also only said, "it would be nice...". It might not be realistic, but it would be the proper way to do it. I know that I don't have any interest in reading through the areas of brands that I have nothing to do with, so I'm sure that it wouldn't be much different for anybody who became a moderator.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    How many of those are copier technical forums or have most of those except CTN dried up and blown away? The most admins I can remember here is 2. The other had a login that was an eight digit number, actually 4 digits repeated. It was the same as the service access for an older analog copier line, I am thinking Minolta as we used to sell Minolta under the Olympia name before becoming a Gestetner Dealer.
    Slim, I was just referencing 'other' forums as I do have other interests in life, not necessarily ones specific to the subject matter of CTN. The only other one I reference for such technical content is the one Ricoh hosts on the TSRC.

The only administrators I've ever been aware of here are Aneurysm and 10871087 on this board and the latter hasn't been here since 2017. JustManuals, as a financial contributor, also has some influence though not as an administrator or moderator.

You are correct that CTN is almost certainly if not the last, it is the most significant of the last, forums of its kind. I'm just comparing my experience here with other forums that I consider well run. Improving the overall state of this site may just keep it relevant into the future. Doing nothing will likely ensure it goes the way the others have already gone. Just my humble opinion.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Slim, I was just referencing 'other' forums as I do have other interests in life, not necessarily ones specific to the subject matter of CTN. The only other one I reference for such technical content is the one Ricoh hosts on the TSRC.

The only administrators I've ever been aware of here are Aneurysm and 10871087 on this board and the latter hasn't been here since 2017. JustManuals, as a financial contributor, also has some influence though not as an administrator or moderator.

You are correct that CTN is almost certainly if not the last, it is the most significant of the last, forums of its kind. I'm just comparing my experience here with other forums that I consider well run. Improving the overall state of this site may just keep it relevant into the future. Doing nothing will likely ensure it goes the way the others have already gone. Just my humble opinion.
    10871087 was the one I was thinking of about 2 hours ago. Hasn't been around for a few years. As for JustMnauals the owner, Paul Gelsman, passed away on Wednesday, August 13, 2014. He had bypass surgery earlier in that year and never fully recovered.

I remember the forum on TSRC. Same software here. Not much support though. You could get better help shouting into an empty beer keg. Apparently their support people didn't monitor it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Just wanted to add, Paul the owner of Just Manuals past away back around 2017. He was here right up until he died. Had moved to Vegas around 20 yrs ago. He was hated and banned by moderators on many forums for selling manuals. This was the only place he got away with it so he must of had an in with anurysem.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Just wanted to add, Paul the owner of Just Manuals past away back around 2017. He was here right up until he died. Had moved to Vegas around 20 yrs ago. He was hated and banned by moderators on many forums for selling manuals. This was the only place he got away with it so he must of had an in with anurysem.

Paul was both a Contributor and an advertiser. He passed away on Wednesday, August 13, 2014. Life Sucks