Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Lightbulb Legit questions wait weeks, yet SPAM gets through without the need for approval?

There have been a few mentions in other threads by new members, legit techs with legit questions mind you, about the length of time it is taking to get their posts approved. This would seem to indicate that a new member is unable to start new threads, which is understandable, in order to combat SPAM posts and junk members.

SO, I have to ask... How is it then that these new junk members, that are hell bent on selling their garbage, are able to post without approval?

An example from just today, a new member joined some time in June, and their very first post to the site is garbage Samsung phones. Clearly something in the set up of this filtering system is messed up if legit posts are being filtered and forced to wait for weeks+ for approval, but the garbage still gets through instantly...
    Junk.jpg
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Legit questions wait weeks, yet SPAM gets through without the need for approval?

Re: Legit questions wait weeks, yet SPAM gets through without the need for approval?

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    There have been a few mentions in other threads by new members, legit techs with legit questions mind you, about the length of time it is taking to get their posts approved. This would seem to indicate that a new member is unable to start new threads, which is understandable, in order to combat SPAM posts and junk members.

SO, I have to ask... How is it then that these new junk members, that are hell bent on selling their garbage, are able to post without approval?

An example from just today, a new member joined some time in June, and their very first post to the site is garbage Samsung phones. Clearly something in the set up of this filtering system is messed up if legit posts are being filtered and forced to wait for weeks+ for approval, but the garbage still gets through instantly...
    Junk.jpg

Admin needs posts like this to be reported ... notice that user already has a red card and the post HAS been reported by me.

Do you ever tag & report posts like that?

you call for monitors to the forums .. but you as a regular user have the abilities to help out Admin by reporting said type posts.

IF we all Step Up and lend a hand it might move quicker

Re: Legit questions wait weeks, yet SPAM gets through without the need for approval?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Admin needs posts like this to be reported ... notice that user already has a red card and the post HAS been reported by me.

you call for monitors to the forums .. but you as a regular user have the abilities to help out Admin by reporting said type posts.

Yes, every single one, post and poster.

It just baffles me how it seems that legit posts are being filtered and wait forever, yet at least some (if not all) of the junk comes through without any issues. Maybe it's a setting on a per group basis and the For Sale group isn't restricted for some reason. I don't know, as I've never run forum software before.

Either way, in my opinion all groups should have the same requirements to post, except for maybe the Introduce Yourself group where it might make sense to allow a new member to post workout approval.
    Last edited by femaster; 07-04-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Legit questions wait weeks, yet SPAM gets through without the need for approval?

I red carded the poster and reported the post. Normally when I report a post(s) for illegal advertising admin removes them the next time he logs on. Been that way for years.

femaster, FYI not all areas of the forum have the same posting restrictions as the technical forums. For example a new member can immediately post to the Newbie Check In. Interesting thing, most of those complaining about being unable to post have never posted an introduction in Newbie Check In.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    femaster, FYI not all areas of the forum have the same posting restrictions as the technical forums. For example a new member can immediately post to the Newbie Check In. Interesting thing, most of those complaining about being unable to post have never posted an introduction in Newbie Check In.
    It's pretty obvious that they have different restrictions by the fact that a new member can post freely in the For Sale area for some reason. That would be one of the last areas I would have guessed would have been open to free posting considering the number of scam artists that are out there these days.

As it should be, new members should have the ability to post freely in Newbie Check In; I stated such in my original post. And even though it might be true that some of those legit members who were unable to post never did post in the Newbie Check In, neither did the Spammer, and it didn't phase their posting ability at all.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I red carded the poster and reported the post. Normally when I report a post(s) for illegal advertising admin removes them the next time he logs on. Been that way for years.

New members cannot immediately post to the Newbie thread, at least not as of this week or so. I have submitted two post threads in the last week, one to newbie as an intro as well as one to software with questions about various device management software. As of now neither of those posts have made it through and at the time of submission I got a message that said posts would need approved before they would appear. Not sure if this is something that used to be\should be true but that isn't what's happening now. That being said I did notice today that I have since gained permission to start threads (listed at the bottom of some pages) so I suspect that if I re-created my posts they would go through. I haven't yet partly because I don't really want to type them out again and partially because I don't want to have the previously submitted ones go through and end up with duplicates that look spammy.

EDIT > Sorry for the thread necro I didn't realize this was 3 weeks old.

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    New members cannot immediately post to the Newbie thread, at least not as of this week or so. I have submitted two post threads in the last week, one to newbie as an intro as well as one to software with questions about various device management software. As of now neither of those posts have made it through and at the time of submission I got a message that said posts would need approved before they would appear. Not sure if this is something that used to be\should be true but that isn't what's happening now. That being said I did notice today that I have since gained permission to start threads (listed at the bottom of some pages) so I suspect that if I re-created my posts they would go through. I haven't yet partly because I don't really want to type them out again and partially because I don't want to have the previously submitted ones go through and end up with duplicates that look spammy.EDIT > Sorry for the thread necro I didn't realize this was 3 weeks old.
    don't worry about: anything NON TECH such as:
    Copytechnet.com
    System Forums Threads / Posts Last Post
    System Announcements

Non-Technical Forums Threads
    Rants, Raves, and Everything Else

The reason most forums in the technical end have a time constraint due to:
    the OP [original poster] never answered back OR the fix was posted and some idjet (idiot) decided to dig it up and post either the same question OR a non-related question with totally different issues.
    RED CARDS TYPICALLY a user WILL NOT receive one unless:
    they have broken forum rules: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules
    generally rule #5 is the main offense Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
    Firmware/manuals etc are protected by copyright laws... that's because that is proprietary information that IS NOT supposed to be in the general populous hands.. only to be distributed to AUTHORIZED personal. NOW if a user is a known tech with good rep power MOST TIMES they will receive help.
    **Endusers either don't understand the rules of copyright -= OR =- feel 'entitled' to said files.**
    IT users (for the most part) fit into the later category.. something to do with working with computers makes them equal/better than techs that have spend YEARS/DECADES learning our trade and getting covered in toner/grease in the process.
    Manual requests are required to go in here ---> https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/s...nual-requests/ per forum rules #3
    Service Manual Requests - All requests for service manuals must be made in the Service Manual Request Forum. Please read the special rules sticky in that forum for posting guidelines. service manual requests made elsewhere on the site WILL BE DELETED.
    Reason: They guys that have manuals DO NOT always follow the TECH FORUMS.
    that about does it for now.. please post any other questions about how the site works here.
    **NOTE I am NOT a moderator... NEVER claimed to be... but being a senior tech user.. I have a concerned interest in the well being/smooth running of this fine site**

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    EDIT > Sorry for the thread necro I didn't realize this was 3 weeks old.
    3 weeks is nothing for a discussion thread such as this and threads in many non technical forums like Rants, Raves and Everything Else. Dead and buried is a technical thread that is 2 or 3 YEARS old and they have to DIG many pages into the forum to find it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Service Manual Requests - All requests for service manuals must be made in the Service Manual Request Forum. Please read the special rules sticky in that forum for posting guidelines. service manual requests made elsewhere on the site WILL BE DELETED.
    Reason: They guys that have manuals DO NOT always follow the TECH FORUMS.
    that about does it for now.. please post any other questions about how the site works here.
    **NOTE I am NOT a moderator... NEVER claimed to be... but being a senior tech user.. I have a concerned interest in the well being/smooth running of this fine site**
    The forum For Sales,Trade or Wanted also has a sticky post with specific rules for it. Spammers frequently post there. When they do so and violate the sticky rules, they RED carded and reported. Aneurysm will eventually get to those reports and delete the posts and the spammer. I have seen it take as little as a day and as long as a month.

The forum For Sales,Trade or Wanted also has a sticky post with specific rules for it. Spammers frequently post there. When they do so and violate the sticky rules, they RED carded and reported. Aneurysm will eventually get to those reports and delete the posts and the spammer. I have seen it take as little as a day and as long as a month.
    Sorry Slim.. I had a post to him .. but it exceeded the forum limit by I think 3050 or so letters..
    I tried my best to condense my rant.. must have deleted that part of it.

good catch brother!