• Show
Clear All
  • boutn
    Trusted Tech
    250+ Posts
    • Jun 2016

search / advanced search

Hello,

can anyone tell me how i can search for errorcodes like F2-40, E7-11 (Sharp) and so on.

i can't seem to find anything using the search of advanced search field.

The only workaround I have is to search on google and normally the first hit is Copytechnet
  • tsbservice
    Field tech
    Site Contributor
    5,000+ Posts
    • May 2007

Re: search / advanced search

I have mixed experience with search function here. It works sometimes and don't work others, I don't know why.
    You can always use Google your key words and narrow it to CTN like that.
    F2-40 site:copytechnet.com
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Tricky
      Field Supervisor
      Site Contributor
      2,500+ Posts
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tsbservice
      I have mixed experience with search function here. It works sometimes and don't work others, I don't know why.
      You can always use Google your key words and narrow it to CTN like that.
      F2-40 site:copytechnet.com
      Hi
      Pedantic is my middle name, you can narrow it down to sharp subforum results
      F2-40 site:https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/sharp/
      Copytechnet search tool v0.8 Final

Comment

• Aneurysm
        Administrator
        1,000+ Posts
        • Jan 2005

As others recommended you can use Google with site option by entering "site:copytechnet.com SearchTerms" in the google search bar. Or to use the advanced search option here, select the "Search Single Content Type" tab and set the search type dropdown to "Posts", then enter you keywords and make sure the dropdown there is set to " Search Entire Posts". It isn't perfect but it's what we have at the moment.

Admin
        "Remain calm. All is well." -Chip Diller, Nov 1963

Comment

• Tricky
          Field Supervisor
          Site Contributor
          2,500+ Posts
          • Apr 2009

Years ago some kind person wrote me a windows batch file that searched copytechnet Canon, you double-clicked on it, a command prompt would open where you typed your error code then Firefox opens with the Google results. I posted it here.
          For every manufacturer you would need another modified batch file copytechnet Canon / copytechnet ricoh for example.

Now ChatGPT is here I thought it might help me, I uploaded the original windows batch file and since Linux is more developer friendly, I told ChatGPT to make it work with bash. It did the job and worked well.
          I then asked it to make a GUI for it which looked like this,

It still only searches Canon which I wanted to change.

I told it to create a new button named Konica and told it this button would search the Konica subforum.

This is where it blew me away as it added two buttons one Canon and one Konica, it knew the original script which searched Canon only would need to be altered. It even changed the title of the app to Copytechnet forum search.

A few other commands like make buttons the same size and blue colour worked perfectly.

Here it is in action,

Last edited by Tricky; 02-16-2024, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• slimslob
            Retired
            Site Contributor
            25,000+ Posts
            • May 2013

I remember years ago, before the pandemic before the update to https and probably before at least one update to the vBulletin software, using Advanced Search there were radio buttons that allowed you to select which forum(s) you wanted to do an exact word search in and gave the results and I could select individual post instead of just the thread.

Made it a lot easier to find something that had been posted months earlier.

Comment

• Aneurysm
              Administrator
              1,000+ Posts
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by slimslob
              I remember years ago, before the pandemic before the update to https and probably before at least one update to the vBulletin software, using Advanced Search there were radio buttons that allowed you to select which forum(s) you wanted to do an exact word search in and gave the results and I could select individual post instead of just the thread.

Made it a lot easier to find something that had been posted months earlier.
              You can still do that within the Advanced Search here.

• Select the "Search Single Content Type" tab
              • Set the search type dropdown to "Posts"
              • Enter your keywords and set the dropdown to "Search Entire Posts"
              • Below that, you can multi-select forums, include sub-forums, and other options
              • TIP: In the lower left there is a "Save Search Preferences" dropdown, Click the small GO button next to it and it will save your preferences as a starting point next time you use the advanced search (but you'll still need to click the "Search Single Content Type" tab)
              "Remain calm. All is well." -Chip Diller, Nov 1963

Comment

• tsbservice
                Field tech
                Site Contributor
                5,000+ Posts
                • May 2007

Originally posted by morales34
                As others suggested....
                Who the hell you are? Get lost spammer!
                Last edited by Aneurysm; 02-20-2024, 03:07 AM.
                A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• Tricky
                  Field Supervisor
                  Site Contributor
                  2,500+ Posts
                  • Apr 2009

It's so obvious isn't it.

Comment

• slimslob
                    Retired
                    Site Contributor
                    25,000+ Posts
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by skynet
                    Hidden link reported

Comment

• tsbservice
                      Field tech
                      Site Contributor
                      5,000+ Posts
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by slimslob
                      Hidden link reported
                      Yeah I should mention that he was also reported to the Admin and RC-ed.

Comment

• tsbservice
                        Field tech
                        Site Contributor
                        5,000+ Posts
                        • May 2007

True but obvious for you, me or someone else doesn't necessarily means it's obvious for everyone.

P.S. Unfortunately instead of finness for arts I have radar for intruders here 🤣

Comment

• Tricky
                          Field Supervisor
                          Site Contributor
                          2,500+ Posts
                          • Apr 2009

My app mentioned earlier was nothing more than a pipe dream, the fact that I know nothing about coding didn't help.
                          It ran on Linux but to get it running on Windows would need python installed, I didn't want extra stuff installed, I needed a rethink.

I then had an epiphany, tell ChatGPT to create a JavaScript version, it gave me a .html file that runs in a web browser.
                          It looked quite neat, with the three manufactures buttons, but I wanted three more. However, the more I told ChatGPT to do, the uglier the results got.

I know a bit about HTML and CSS, so I hacked it myself.
                          I am quite pleased with my project, it opens the results in a new tab and the file passed the W3C HTML validator no errors.

Obviously, it works on my phone, just looks a bit different.

Its here search-copytechnet.html - Google Drive

Comment

• tsbservice
                            Field tech
                            Site Contributor
                            5,000+ Posts
                            • May 2007

My app mentioned earlier was nothing more than a pipe dream, the fact that I know nothing about coding didn't help.
                            It ran on Linux but to get it running on Windows would need python installed, I didn't want extra stuff installed, I needed a rethink.

I then had an epiphany, tell ChatGPT to create a JavaScript version, it gave me a .html file that runs in a web browser.
                            It looked quite neat, with the three manufactures buttons, but I wanted three more. However, the more I told ChatGPT to do, the uglier the results got.

I know a bit about HTML and CSS, so I hacked it myself.
                            I am quite pleased with my project, it opens the results in a new tab and the file passed the W3C HTML validator no errors.

Obviously, it works on my phone, just looks a bit different.

Its here search-copytechnet.html - Google Drive
                            It works basically saving typing :site....and sub forum. I will test it more but good job.

Comment

• Tricky
                              Field Supervisor
                              Site Contributor
                              2,500+ Posts
                              • Apr 2009

Here is version 0.2 it opens the search results in the same browser tab

search copytechnet 0.2.html - Google Drive

Comment

Working...