Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Windows 7 breaking scan-to-file

I'm not sure if this is a Toshiba only thing, but so far I've only seen it on Toshiba devices. I've had 3 cases in the past week with identical outcomes.

Setup: If a customer requests scan-to-file on their PC I create a secondary account in Windows (to prevent password changes from breaking the connection) and use that to authenticate SMB scanning. I've been doing this for years with no issues. The account can either be administrator or user level, and I always set the password to never expire.
    Environment: In all 3 cases these are users with Windows 7 Pro running in typical small office environment - no domain, no special security, etc. I confirmed the password had not expired and I could log into the PC using the account I had created in the initial setup.
    Symptom: "File storage error". In one case the error was File Creation Failure, and in the other 2 it was 'Check username and password'. All the errors pointed to an authentication/permission issue.
    Solution: If I created a new user account and use that to authenticate then the scanning works perfectly, but it will not work with the original account I had set up for scanning.

If I had only seen this once I would say it's just a Windows glitch, but seeing it 3 times in one week makes me think something else is happening. Perhaps a Windows update is breaking something? I'm familiar with the Windows 10 update that stopped supporting SMB v1 scanning - we had to go around to a lot of accounts and make the necessary 08 changes to get file_share and SMB scanning working again after that update. But this is directly linked with a user account, not a communication protocol, as far as I can see. Plus, it seems to only be affecting Windows 7 machines so far. Anyone else seeing this issue lately? Any thoughts on the cause?
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Windows 7 breaking scan-to-file

There are numerous threads here regarding this issue.
    You may want to check this for example:
    Windows 7 machines
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

That's exactly it! Thanks very much tsbservice!
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a Toshiba only thing, but so far I've only seen it on Toshiba devices. I've had 3 cases in the past week with identical outcomes.

Setup: If a customer requests scan-to-file on their PC I create a secondary account in Windows (to prevent password changes from breaking the connection) and use that to authenticate SMB scanning. I've been doing this for years with no issues. The account can either be administrator or user level, and I always set the password to never expire.
    Environment: In all 3 cases these are users with Windows 7 Pro running in typical small office environment - no domain, no special security, etc. I confirmed the password had not expired and I could log into the PC using the account I had created in the initial setup.
    Symptom: "File storage error". In one case the error was File Creation Failure, and in the other 2 it was 'Check username and password'. All the errors pointed to an authentication/permission issue.
    Solution: If I created a new user account and use that to authenticate then the scanning works perfectly, but it will not work with the original account I had set up for scanning.

If I had only seen this once I would say it's just a Windows glitch, but seeing it 3 times in one week makes me think something else is happening. Perhaps a Windows update is breaking something? I'm familiar with the Windows 10 update that stopped supporting SMB v1 scanning - we had to go around to a lot of accounts and make the necessary 08 changes to get file_share and SMB scanning working again after that update. But this is directly linked with a user account, not a communication protocol, as far as I can see. Plus, it seems to only be affecting Windows 7 machines so far. Anyone else seeing this issue lately? Any thoughts on the cause?
    Theres an issue when you use a local administrador account for login. Create a new user that belongs only to "users" group and use it. There´s a patch for it, KB4487345

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi, ist German, but it helps….

SMB Scan zu Windows 7 PC´s schlägt fehl mit einem „Weiterleitungsfehler“
    Seit dem 09.01.2019 können diverse MFP´s nicht mehr die „Scan to SMB“ Funktion nutzen. Grund dafür ist ein Microsoft Patch.

Als Lösungsansatz gibt es drei uns bekannte Möglichkeiten:

-KB4480970 und / oder KB4480960 deinstallieren. Danach zwingend einen Neustart durchführen.

-Einen lokalen User am PC anlegen mit dem Kontotyp „Standardbenutzer“ und diesen am MFP nutzen

-Einen Registry Eintrag anpassen
    (reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f).
    Danach zwingend einen Neustart durchführen.

Unter dem Link finden Sie die Beschreibung und die Lösung:

https://www.neowin.net/news/patch-tu...-smbv2-shares/

https://administrator.de/contentid/3...omment-1336425