Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

e-studio 2040c Install Toner message, but itīs already installed

Just bought a used e-studio 2040c.

The machine tells me to install a new Cyan toner.
    I have several Toshiba-original cyan toners and I have switched between them, but the machine tells me to install toner even if it already is installed.

What is the proper procedure to begin solving this kind of problem?

PS.

I Have never tinkered with this kind of machines before.

DS.

Chief Twiddler 100+ Posts mckinley's Avatar

Re: e-studio 2040c Install Toner message, but itīs already installed

Inside the rear frame of the machine is the toner drive section, there's a sensor on that section which detects the toner cart has been inserted. The sensor gets covered in toner and can throw that error. Also you can get "Toner not recognized", if you get that it's usually either the toner detect board contact springs damaged or the board faulty.
    Happiness Is The Road.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Another thing to try is removing the inner tray and watching the drive gear for that toner cartridge. I have see the gears break. I have also seen the bracket holding the motor and gear get bent, so the gear doesn't mesh with the cartridge.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Make sure that your have the right toner cartridge (T-FC25C), not T-FC28C (eS 2830C) or T-FC35C (eS2500C). They all look basically identical and will fit in the machine, but the couplers are different. I suspect that the actual toner is about the same, but the MFP won't be able to drive the coupler of the wrong cartridge. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Also be aware of how these machine operate with the chip on the toner bottle.
    Most likely not your particular issue but FYI for others.

How is works is well documented in the service manuals.
    If there is an obstruction or backup of the toner add system passageways or drive and you just keep trying...the machine will assume the toner bottle is empty and write that fact to it's eeprom chip and now you have a bricked toner bottle.

Many thanks for all reply

Quote Originally Posted by mckinley View Post
    Inside the rear frame of the machine is the toner drive section, there's a sensor on that section which detects the toner cart has been inserted. The sensor gets covered in toner and can throw that error. Also you can get "Toner not recognized", if you get that it's usually either the toner detect board contact springs damaged or the board faulty.
    I don't see any obvious errors by visual inspection of springs/gears e t c. see attached photo. It looks like someone have tried magenta toner in cyan slot though!!
    Is there a way to measure the sensors or the board?
    If the mechanism and board are not pricey maybe I can replace and see if problem is solved. Do you have a clue if these kind of parts are available somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by rspicer View Post
    Another thing to try is removing the inner tray and watching the drive gear for that toner cartridge. I have see the gears break. I have also seen the bracket holding the motor and gear get bent, so the gear doesn't mesh with the cartridge.
    When the toner is in place I canīt see down where the gears is.. should I try turning the machine on with the toner cartridge out?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Make sure that your have the right toner cartridge (T-FC25C), not T-FC28C (eS 2830C) or T-FC35C (eS2500C). They all look basically identical and will fit in the machine, but the couplers are different. I suspect that the actual toner is about the same, but the MFP won't be able to drive the coupler of the wrong cartridge. =^..^=
    I have checked and I do have two original cyan toners with the label T-FC25E-C.
    Attached Images Attached Images