Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

e457 B/W - Black coming SUPER dark

Hey all, new issue this time. I swear I have some of the craziest stuff known to techs happen to us.

Have a Toshiba e457. Replaced an Oki 5502. I have it a lawyers (just installed it). Go to do some 08 code adjustments for scanning and plug in AirPrint and walked into an ambush. Here's the scenario:

Customer does a LOT of scanning. Scanning was set to B/W / Grayscale + 300 dpi. They scan a lot and reprint it out to send to other lawyers. The B/W reprints from the scans come out SUPER dark. We had them change to color scanning and that helped upon reprinting. The only problem is that, of course, when you increase resolution plus change from b/w to color, the file size increases.

We just set up a 457 at the shop. My tech did his B/W test chart. First copy on standard - can barely make out any details or half tones. Test chart on text / photo and photo mode was better, but that doesn't help me as far as the driver goes since the Universal driver (PCL AND PS) doesn't leave me much leeway as far as DPI and lightening.

Any recommendations as far as setting the resolution / toner density / etc lighter? I can upload examples if needed.

Re: e457 B/W - Black coming SUPER dark

I THINK we got it. Changed all print density settings to 50. Looks like a good start.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    e457 B/W - Black coming SUPER dark

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    ... Have a Toshiba e457. Replaced an Oki 5502. I have it a lawyers (just installed it). Go to do some 08 code adjustments for scanning and plug in AirPrint and walked into an ambush. Here's the scenario:

Customer does a LOT of scanning. Scanning was set to B/W / Grayscale + 300 dpi. They scan a lot and reprint it out to send to other lawyers. The B/W reprints from the scans come out SUPER dark. We had them change to color scanning and that helped upon reprinting. The only problem is that, of course, when you increase resolution plus change from b/w to color, the file size increases...
    You don't say how the monochrome prints look. Print this test chart from the USB port at the front of the machine. Before you start making adjustments, make sure the prints look good. Regardless, I'd clean the optics, then run 05-10fax, 05-7165. There are further exposure adjustments but I'd start there.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    ... We just set up a 457 at the shop. My tech did his B/W test chart. First copy on standard - can barely make out any details or half tones. Test chart on text / photo and photo mode was better, but that doesn't help me as far as the driver goes since the Universal driver (PCL AND PS) doesn't leave me much leeway as far as DPI and lightening.

Any recommendations as far as setting the resolution / toner density / etc lighter? I can upload examples if needed.
    You don't say how the monochrome prints look. Print this test chart from the USB port at the front of the machine. Before you start making adjustments, make sure the prints look good. Regardless, I'd clean the optics, then run 05-10fax, 05-7165. There are further exposure adjustments but I'd start there.

Wow, it's like deja vu. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Wow, it's like deja vu. =^..^=
    Thanks! We got it working smoothly for them (or so we think)!!!